The Attack

Hey y'all! So I finally finished my revisions and will be posting the chapters to this revised version weekly. Chapter-wise it seems a little shorter, but during my revision process the story likely got longer, but definitely not shorter.

A couple things before we start:
- Any comments or suggestions on how to make the story better are greatly appreciated, I love getting feedback!
- The story starts during the RTTE timeline and will be continued possibly all the way until past HTTYD 3.
- The story is also posted on Fanfiction.net and AO3, if you would rather read it on there.
- A sequel is coming at some point, I am currently working on it.
- Hiccup's story is also posted, and will be being finished and completely updated. Two parts of it are in this work, but they are slightly expanded upon as only what is needed for this story is posted here. I would highly recommend reading it.
- A couple of the characters do change in appearance as a result of the changes I made to the story. My friend and I are working together to draw up what they look like. If I get enough requests for it, I will post pictures of what the characters actually look like.

Anyways, that's all I've got for you guys, so...

Let's get on with the story!

Daystrid

The first thing I felt was pain. Not the wee bit of pain you get from a headache, but the stabbing kind you get from being severely hurt. But, I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here. You don't even know who I am. Let's back up the story to when I became a Dragon Rider...

Two Months Prior

My name is Daystrid Hofferson, and I've wanted to be a Dragon Rider like my sister, Astrid, for the past 3 years. It's been about a month since Astrid and the other Riders left for the Great Beyond. They haven't been back from their base, Dragon's Edge, yet.

Today started out like any other. I got up, went for a morning flight on my dragon, a teal Monstrous Nightmare named Firewing, and got back just as Gobber was starting his day in the forge.

I went to see if he needed any help. I'm not exactly his apprentice, Hiccup still is, even though he's barely here. Gobber, though still occasionally needed help, and I was willing to help, so he'd taught me the basics.

"Hey, Gobber," I called, as I walked up to the forge. "Need any help today?"

"If ya want, there's a few swords in the back that need straight'nin' and sharpenin'," Gobber replied. "But I can eas'ly do them later."

"Don't worry about it, I'll get it done." I smiled as I walked into the shop and found the swords he was talking about. I had set straight to work, knowing that this was likely to take me quite a bit of time, as my skills weren't as sharp as Gobber's, or even Hiccup's.

A Few Hours Later

Around midday, Gobber turned to me and said, "Ya look'n tired there, lass. Why don' ya go get some rest?"

"I'm not tired..." I responded as I took the sword I was sharpening off the stone to check its sharpness. It was the last one in the pile he'd pointed out before, so after I was finished with it, I was done for the time being anyway. Gobber came walking over to me as I put the sword back on the stone to sharpen it some more. I yawned extremely big, causing my hands to slip on the sword and accidentally cutting the palm of my hand.

"Ah..." I bit my lip while trying not to drop the sword and keep an eye on my injured hand.

Gobber pulled the sword out of my hand and put it on the table behind him, before grabbing my wrist so he could look at my hand. He wrapped a clean rag around it before looking at me, a concerned look in his eyes.