Hiccup's Story

3 Years Prior- Hiccup

I was walking back to my hut. Today had been weird, that's for sure. Well, other than the fact that I woke up, only to find my leg missing, and dragons living peacefully on Berk, that is.

I'm talking about this weird feeling I'd had all day. Also, I could understand Toothless, which made me think I was going crazy, which he assured me I wasn't. I was thinking about telling Dad, but he'd tell me it was impossible, right? I mean being able to understand dragons? That's a good one! The funny feeling he'd say was me just having woken up today, and I was still getting used to my prosthetic. That is not the case.

I opened the door to my house, and was not expecting what I got.

"Hey son! Have a good day?" Dad asked the minute I closed the door.

"Uh, I guess..." I wasn't quite sure how to respond. I was used to him ignoring my very existence, so this was new, very new. You know... I could tell him about that weird feeling I had today, see what he thinks. That voice in the back of my head said. That is, if he's willing to talk, which it seems like he is.

Toothless had gone and layed down next to the fire, opposite Dad. I went and sat next to my best friend, absentmindedly petting him. "Uh, Dad, can-can I ask you about something?"

"Sure, son. What's on your mind?"

"Well, um, I've had this really weird feeling all day, and..." I said very cautiously.

"Define weird feeling."

Uhhh... great. How do I describe this? "Well, um... I'm not exactly sure how to describe it."

"It could just be that you woke up today, or you're still getting used to your prosthetic." What!? Oh wait, I knew he was gonna say something like that. Let's see what his reaction is to this.

"Okay, so, uh, let's say your right." Dad went to say something, but I cut him off, "No, let me finish. How do you explain the fact that I can also understand Toothless now? And don't say that's impossible, because it's true."

"He's right, Stoick. And he's not crazy either." Toothless told him.

Dad looked confused, especially as I looked at Toothless and said, "You know he can't understand you, bud. I can, but Dad can't."

"Oh, right." Toothless looked disappointed.

"Okay, if you can understand him, what did he say?" Dad asked.

"Uh, which time?"

"Before you told him that I couldn't understand him."

"He was telling you I was right, and that I wasn't crazy either."

Dad looked at Toothless, most likely to determine whether I was right or not. Toothless nodded, and Dad leaned back in his chair, like he was deep in thought.

"Uh, Dad?"

He didn't answer, and I was about to ask again, when:

"Could you understand him before today, son?"

"No..." Dad gave me a strange look.

"That wasn't english, Hiccup. It was dragonese." Toothless told me. That's why Dad is looking at me funny, I thought.

"Uh..."

"Son," Dad actually sounded kind of worried, "you sounded like a dragon just now."

"I know, well I didn't until Toothless told me, but..." I hesitated before continuing, "I don't know why I can speak dragoneese, or understand dragons. Because it's not just Toothless that I can understand, I was able to understand what Stormfly, and Hookfang, and the twins' dragon, and Fishlegs' dragon were saying today too!"