The Discovery

My hair and eyes had changed color a couple weeks before, but I hadn't paid any attention to it. I also somehow had gained an immunity to burns, another thing that confused me.

I heard a rustle in the trees and my hand almost immediately went towards my sword which was strapped on my back. I didn't pull it out because I knew that if it was a dragon, having a weapon in my hand when they first saw me was not a good idea.

The trees rustled once more, and then out jumped Firewing. I laughed, I'd thought he was a dangerous animal, not my best friend.

"You're okay!" he exclaimed as he jumped on me. I've been able to understand him since shortly after my sister left Berk. "I was so worried about you. What's wrong?" he asked, suddenly sensing that I wasn't as happy to see him as I normally would have been.

"I don't know..." I trailed off, not knowing how to tell him that I might be part dragon. Although he might already know, he is a dragon after all.

"Um, you know that wasn't english, right?"

"What?!"

"That was, but when you said 'I don't know', it was dragonese. I didn't know that you knew dragoneese. Usually only dragons can speak it, humans just can't make the sounds correctly."

"Yeah, I know. You've said that before." I didn't know what to do anymore. I could speak dragonese, and I could light my hands on fire? Now I was even more confused.

"Daystrid, what is wrong?" he sounded desperate.

"I- di- I think I'm-" I was finding it hard to tell him one little thing. "-I think I'm part dragon. Y'know like Hiccup is."

"You're right, you are," he responded matter-of-factly, as though he had known for years.

"Wait, what?!"

"I said you're part dragon. And before you ask, I've known since I met you." Ah, that makes more sense.

"Oh. Why didn't you say anything?" I asked.

"I figured it might scare you. You were quite young and seemed like you could get scared easily. And you just spoke dragonese again."

"Oh, you're right. And I can't control when I speak dragonese or english!"

"You should probably go find your sister, and try not to speak dragonese around her. She seemed worried about you last time I saw her."

"That's actually why I came looking for you. Astrid's training new riders. I figured we could-"

"Well then, what are we waiting for?!" Firewing interrupted, he was more excited than I thought he would be. I got on him and we took off towards the arena.

Astrid

I was just starting my second class with the new riders. I had just been about to start class, when I heard a voice from the door.

"Got room for another rider?"

I spun around, and there, in the doorway, stood Daystrid, her dragon behind her.

"Days." I was too surprised to see her to say much else.

"Surprised to see me?" she asked, and I couldn't help but smile. She smiled back, her smile so big it reached her golden eyes...Wait, her eyes were brown last time I saw her, she changed more than I thought she did.