Making Things Up

You would think that having the ability to turn into an enormous bulletproof tiger would at the very least deter people from trying to snatch Atsushi Nakajima off the street. 

Yet, since coming to Yokohama, he had been thrown into the backs of vans, loaded onto smuggling ships, yanked into magical realms, and not to mention imprisoned in a giant flying mechanical whale that one time.

He really must have been hit with some extra dosage of bad luck at birth. It couldn't possibly be normal to be kidnapped that many times...

...Right?

Either way, if one thing was for sure, Akutagawa didn't have nearly as much experience with the whole being held against your will thing. Like the short-sighted lawnmower Atsushi had always known him to be, he had viciously attacked the bars of their shared cell until he wore himself out and went to go sit in the corner.

Since there was no one else to talk to, Atsushi supposed he could try to spark some sort of dialogue with the sulky mafioso. Even if it was just their usual banter, it would be nice to listen to something other than the scrambling of rats across the damp floor of the Guild's Japanese Base's prison.

However, he was also certain that Akutagawa's lucidity had only been brief and at the moment he was back to being completely and utterly enthralled with Dazai's ex-partner. 

Yeah.

Atsushi wasn't in the mood to deal with that again.

No, what he had to focus on now was a plan. A while back, he had escaped the Guild's clutches with the help of one of their own. But considering that the last time Atsushi had seen Lucy Montgomery was yesterday when she was making cookies shaped like little Chuuyas (Chuuyai, Chuuyii, whatever the plural was), something told him that wasn't going to fly this time around. And he also didn't think he could rely on anyone from the agency either, since they were probably busy buying/consuming said cookies.

Dammit! After everything the agency has been through, is THIS really what has got them in such a bind? And I'm glad Lucy left the Guild and everything --but man! Where's a temperamental tsundere when you need one?

Akutagawa stirred.

"Jinko." he rasped.

Atsushi glanced at him, "Yeah?"

"We have...no other choice...must...combine our abilities..."

The junior detective ducked away from a tendril that lazily tried to wrap around him.

"I uh -- I think we're both just a little too weak to try that right now." he said, flinching a little at the blatant lie. He wasn't very good at  being deceptive, and could only hope Akutagawa didn't notice and make the decision to relieve his head of his shoulders.

While it was true that their abilities were stronger together, strong enough to break down the bars,  Atsushi really didn't know if he could trust Akutagawa in this state.

Akutagawa raised his head just high enough to glare at his rival with those dismal eyes of his, "So, how to we escape then?"

Atsushi didn't know. What he did know was that something very, very strange was going on. After all the time he spent sitting in this cell, he was able to recall his memories of being a chu-maniac along with everyone else. He had quite literally been willing to die for that adorable creature of perfecti-

Wait, huh? Shit, looked like he wasn't completely fixed either. Ugh! How did this even happen? What was with everyone?

Wait.