Not Abandoning You

Ango Sakaguchi was very glad he had brought an umbrella with him.

To be honest, he couldn't say he knew exactly why he had pulled it from the umbrella stand before rushing out of the Special Divisions office.  At the time Dazai had called him, Ango was under some sort of spell that prevented him from thinking about anything other than Nakahara really, much less bother with checking the weather.

It must have been some sort of instinct. Because once the helicopters touched down on the field, a shower of rain had come racing down from the sky, washing away the heavy stench of blood.

Now, Ango didn't really mind getting wet. But somehow he knew that the smudge of a figure he saw in the distance -- propped up against a tree and head bowed --would. 

He wasted no time heading over in that direction while the rest of his agents rushed over to where the criminal Dazai had described lay. 

He snapped the umbrella open over the unconscious man, standing quietly beside him.

Ango didn't do it out of kindness. No, he simply had a healthy dosage of fear associated with this man after he had managed to lift Ango off the ground by the neck this one time. Ango figured that a gesture as small as this would spare him any further complications between them.

He watched as the figure slowly, groggily came awake. The gravity manipulator frowned at the tree he was propped up against before noticing the fresh set of bandages wrapped over his wounds and the hat that had been placed on his lap.

He picked it up, turned it over, made a scoffing sound then placed it on his head. He looked up, squinting with glassy eyes.

"D...Dazai?"

"No," said Ango Sakaguchi, "Ango Sakaguchi."

He watched Chuuya shift further upright, eyes rounding as the truth dawned upon him. He looked quickly out onto the field, where a babble of agents were surrounding a handcuffed Mary Shelley (looking none too pleased as she answered their questions) then back to Ango.

"Dammit," he said softly, almost in shock. Then his eyes hardened, hands clenching into fists as he hit the tree behind him, "Dammit!"

The bark splintered where he had hit it. Ango pushed his glasses up.

Chuuya rasped, "He's not here, is he?"

Ango looked out into the rain. It was remarkable how little he knew about Chuuya considering how tangled their pasts were. Even if said tanglement was mostly because of a certain mutual acquaintance, it still felt rather awkward.

"If you are talking about Dazai-kun, you are correct. He left shortly after notifying me -"

Chuuya let out a sharp laugh that sounded dangerous enough to make Ango snap his jaw close.

"I should have known," the gravity manipulator hiccupped, "I should have known."

Ango furrowed his brow in irritation, "Nakahara-san, if you would listen to me-"

"I'm delusional," Chuuya said, "I'm fucking delusional. What the hell made me think it'd be any different from any other time?  Damn I must have really said it! Now he knows -- fuck! No wonder he ran away. Even though he - even though he said he..."

Ango frowned, "Nakahara-san, we'll be getting you medical attention shortly-"

Chuuya looked down, something pained climbing into his features, "Oh who am I kidding?  I probably...only imagined it. All of it. Its all just so...stupid..."

"Chuuya!"

Chuuya glared at the Special Divisions officer like he had expected him to had already left hours ago. "The hell do you want, weather boy?"

"There is one reason why you are not being handcuffed alongside that foreigner over there Mr. Mafia Underboss!" Ango said, feeling his face grow red with indignance, "Dazai has sufficiently and personally blackmailed the entirety of the Special Divisions for Unusual Powers!"

Chuuya blinked.

"What?"

Ango rubbed the bridge of his nose. He cared about his old friend; he really did. But honestly, he couldn't believe Dazai had actually gotten him involved with whatever the hell he had going on with Chuuya Nakahara.

"After taking shots every time they thought about something remotely related to the glorious commander of gravity, " Ango explained, "Most of the Special Divisions agents are indisposed. We were too short staffed to have someone retrieve the detective agency from the ship they were locked in so Dazai decided to go there himself."

"But-"

"He said something about a leg injury and not wanting you to strain it"

"I-"

"And," Ango said, swiftly cutting him off, "he said to give you this."

Curiously, Chuuya took the note from Ango's hand. He tilted it back so it caught enough light to be read.

Next time you lose me, Chibi, I strongly recommend looking up.

Not like that's the case here.

But I did make you a promise.

So allow me to make it up.

And just below those ridiculously cryptic words were a time and address. 

Three days, Central Yokohama, Noon. 

We have some things to discuss.

"That sick bastard." Chuuya said, lips slowly curling into a smirk. 

And then he inexplicably started laughing.

Ango watched mortified as the laughing showed no sign of stopping. You weren't supposed to like when Osamu Dazai pulled one over you. That alone was surely a side of madness!

He tried to get the executive's attention. And when that didn't work, he began fearing what Dazai might do to him if it turned out Nakahara was in fact in a state of shock and began calling for a doctor.

Concerned agents rushed all around him, asking questions and taking his temperature.

Chuuya never stopped laughing.