The Devil's In The Details 𝟚/𝟚

Fyodor beamed, spreading his hands out wide.

"I have no idea!"

Huh?

Chuuya nearly dropped his phone, "What? What do you mean you have no idea?"

He didn't understand. Had all that ominous build-up been for nothing?

 Fyodor shrugged, "I really don't know who it is that loves you so dearly. Although...I am very tempted to say that person is me."

"I...I don't get it. What were you saying just a second ago? About everyone else ceasing to exist...?"

"Two orders of this -- yes. Thank you." 

Fyodor said this not to Chuuya but to the waiter who had approached the table. The waiter nodded, then turned to the gravity-manipulator. 

"C-Chuuya," he said, turning red, "Uh-um, can I get your autograph?"

"Scram," Chuuya hissed -- to which the waiter did immediately.

Determined not to lose focus, Chuuya locked his eyes on Fyodor's and bit out, "Stop messing with me, what are you trying to say?"

"Hm?" the devil said, glancing at him, "Oh, yes. See, the truth is Chuuya..." 

His voice took on a somewhat sultry tone, "It's odd. Seeing you there, right in front of me...I can hardly contain myself. You're perfect -- I love you more than any other. Say the words, and I would gladly slaughter everyone in this city in a heartbeat."

A chill ran up Chuuya's spine.

"Uh," he said, " No thank you. I don't want everyone in Yokohama dead."

Fyodor leaned in, the look in his eyes intense as a storm, "See? That's just the thing, neither do I."

Discomforted, Chuuya shifted back in his chair, "You're not making any sense. Didn't you just say-"

"I said that I would gladly slaughter them all. Not that I want to."

"Aren't those two...the same thing...?"

"Chuuya," Fyodor said condescendingly, "I know we aren't all that familiar with each other, but I would hope that you at least know that I am a man who always goes with logic over my own emotions."

He sighed, "Exterminating all these unworthy peasants in your name would make me ecstatic. Yet, in order for my master plan to work, I need most of these people alive. Strange, right? Why would I create a plan that contradicts my motives? That brings me to the other odd thing..."

"What...?"

Fyodor fell heavily onto the backrest of his seat, tossing his hands up in the air, "I can't seem to remember the details of my plan! I know it was something grand, something that I spent a long time on before coming to Japan. There's a whisper in the back of my head has me feeling like it had something to do with obtaining you. But surely that can't be it? I hardly knew who you were before arriving in this city, it doesn't add up."

He came forward, steepling his hands, "Tell me the truth, Boss of the Port Mafia. Am I under some sort of spell?"

A tense silence lapsed between them.

But of course Fyodor figured it out. He was frickin' Fyodor. Chuuya ran the math in his head. If Dazai got his message, then he should be on his way. That meant the best thing for Chuuya to do right now was to stall for time.