An Interesting Proposition 𝟙/𝟚

Some part of Chuuya had already guessed who had forced their way into the house.

Still, he could not stop himself from tensing when a single white glove appeared in the entryway to the kitchen. One by one, long fingers curled into the wooden beam before the rest of Mori Ogai followed -- filling  the threshold with his presence.

The Boss' smile was not too different from the one he wore yesterday. But given their current circumstances and the way the red of his irises seemed to glow in the darkness -- there was something far more sinister about it this time around.

His eyes slid pass Dazai like rainwater on glass. The action was exceedingly unnerving, done with such profound ease. It was as if the detective wasn't even there.

Those glittering eyes landed on Chuuya, focused and intense.

 "Ah, Chuuya-kun," Mori said pleasantly, "looks like I found you."

"...heeeey, Boss." Chuuya said, bobbing his head in an awkward nod. 

He couldn't quite explain the sudden chill that washed over him. Why was he feeling so...unsettled? It was just Mori, after all.  And under the influence of what Dazai had said was the work of an ability user, Mori loved him.

It wasn't like he and Dazai were in any danger.

...right?

"Forgive my sudden intrusion." Mori said with a dramatic sigh, "but you didn't come in to work today and we all got rather concerned."

We all.

Please don't tell me the entire mafia is outside.

It was all too easy to imagine Akutagawa, Higuchi, Koyo, Gin, and dozens upon dozens of thugs stationed around the house, weapons at the ready.

"We thought it would be best to come check up on you."

Chuuya opened his mouth. Check up on him? Check up on him?  In this line of work, Chuuya had been shot, stabbed, beaten, and not to mention sucked into a mystery novel that one time.

Not once had Mori come to 'check up on him'. 

Even after all the craziness of the past two days, it was this that fully robbed Chuuya of any comprehensible words. He had no idea how to respond.

"Is that so, Mori?" a quiet voice inquired.

Dazai.

The bandaged man uncurled himself from his corner and stepped in between executive and boss. "A rather rude way to check up on one of your subordinates, don't you think? Least you could've done was bring some chocolates or something."

Mori frowned. "Oh. You. I should have known."

Suddenly, faster than the eyes could possibly track, Mori withdrew two gleaming scalpels. "Chuuya-kun ~ Was this man harassing you? Say the word and I'll cut a smile into his neck."

Dazai's lips parted, a bitter, bemused sort of actual smile coming over his face. 

It was one thing, Chuuya supposed, to be told by your most detested rival that everyone in the entire city had become infatuated with him and another thing to actually witness it.

Dazai recovered quickly. "Pot, black Mori. Are you sure you're not the one harassing him? Take a look at the poor thing's face, why don't you?"

Mori actually did, eyes flicking past Dazai. For a sparse second, they widened -- and Mori looked very Mori. However, in the next instant, they glazed over with that malevolent look from before.