Chapter 2: What Rey Saw on the Island

Rey searched the overgrown forest for Shudu. "Shudu!" she called.

No answer.

"Shudu!" Rey yelled again.

Still no answer.

Rey reached the beach. Her boots dug into the fluffy, white sand. Beside her was a line of water speeders the Resistance used for scouting the island, hunting, and sightseeing. They were just like the speeders Rey used back on Jakku. However, the primary purpose of these speeders was to trek water, not land and desert planets.

They, though, were not the only things that grabbed Rey's attention. There was Shudu. A short boy, he was about nine years old and had long black hair and deep brown eyes. Over his torso, he wore a white, puffy-sleeved shirt, which he had tucked into raggedy, old pants and brown boots.

Shudu stood at the edge of the turquoise lagoon. It looked like he was meditating. Not only that but on either side of him, rocks covered in green seaweed slowly lifted into the air and created a ring around his small body. The Force. This was fascinating.

"Lifting rocks," Rey murmured under her breath. She hid behind a small cluster of ferns and watched the boy.

In his left hand, he held a tree branch. He wielded it like a lightsaber.

Rey rested her hand on her own lightsaber. She felt his determination to get the exercise right.

Shudu practiced different thrusts. He even tried a backflip, but unfortunately, that did not go as planned. He landed on his face in the sand. Instantly, he was back on his feet. He held the branch up to his eye and hid behind it.

For a good ten minutes, Rey did not bother him. Finally, she stepped onto the sand and rested her hand on a hanging palm tree. Clearing her throat, she spoke two words: "Hello, Shudu."

At her voice, Shudu lost concentration. The ring of rocks surrounding him crashed into the sand, and he almost poked himself in the eye with his branch. In complete utter shock, he shouted, "Master Rey!" He nearly caused an earthquake with the pure power in his voice.

Rey nodded. She came within reach of him. "I feel your determination. The way you lifted those rocks was very impressive. Nevertheless, I feel something else, too. Fear. Did you not introduce yourself to Temiri?"

"I couldn't bring myself to, Master. I'm shy, but it's great that the academy continues growing. I just don't feel cut out for this."

"Why not? You can talk to me." Rey kneeled to the little boy. She took his shoulder. "What's bothering you?"

"This feeling I have..." Shudu explained. "It's as if something is about to happen."

"The Force is trying to tell you something. Are you able to translate what it is?" Rey wanted to know.

"No." Shudu disappointingly shook his head. "And I don't know if I ever will." He shivered and rubbed his arms. "I guess my point is, you should maybe take a break from recruiting soldiers for your army."

Just before Rey could say more, she heard a roar across the lagoon. It came from a small island in the heart of it. "What's that?" she asked. "Did you hear it, too, Shudu?"

"I did." Shudu's attention moved from Rey to the island she examined. "Do you think it's a creature in pain? What if it needs help?"

Rey narrowed her eyebrows. She clenched her fists and sternly said, "Get yourself back to General Leia, kid."