Chapter 1

"One second!" I yelled, putting down the black and blue coffee mug I was holding. I walked over to the door, my bare feet slapping against the wooden floor of my one story house in Byfor, Wyoming. The sun rays, were streaming into the sliding window door.

        "Hello Mr.Roberts, how has your day been?" I asked, taking the mail from his hands and leaning against the door way, enjoying the feeling of the sun on my arms. "I have been good, how have you been Joyce?" Mr.Roberts said, his voice filled with concern, and sympathy. I raised my eyebrows at him in confusion.       

        "What do you mean Mr.Roberts. I'm peachy keen!" I replied, looking at the envelopes to see who sent them. "You have an invitation for a funeral in there, it was on top" Mr.Roberts said. I looked up at him and smiled, "Probably just a friend  of my parents that I don't know. Well I have a good day Mr.Roberts." I said, stepping back into my house and closing the door.

        "Goodbye, Mrs.Nelson." He said, going about on his mail route. I took another step backwards and tripped over something, falling backwards, and throwing the mail up into the air. After hitting the hard cold ground, and laying there for a moment, I raised my head to see what I had tripped over. "Hello Smokie" I said, to my gray tabby cat. He meowed, rubbed his head against my bare foot and then ran off to go chase imaginary mice. I got up, picked up all the mail , and went through the short hallway into the kitchen, and retrieved my coffee mug from the white tiled counter top. I brushed back a strand of my curly read hair, and took a sip from the cup, sighing as the warm peach flavored tea ran down the back of my throat soothingly.

        "Let's see about this funeral invitation" I said to myself, picking up the envelope. I opened it, and knew it wasn't a friend of my parents, it was not their had writing. It included basic information,

In Loving Memory of.........

Lucielle Alice Hawthorn

July 2nd, 2006

The invitation did not contain any other information, not even a picture of this Lucielle person. But I also did not recognize her name. 'Maybe they sent it to the wrong person' I thought to myself, and turned the envelope of the invitation, but sure enough it had my name and address on it. "guess not....." I mumbled to myself.       

        I ran over to the other side of the kitchen, to my season themed calender. I ran my finger along the row of dates until I found what I was looking for, tomorrow was July 2nd. I walked through a hallway, past the living room and into my small room, and opened my closet door. I grabbed for a black t-shirt and a dressy black leather jacket, that would go slightly past her hips, and a pair of heelless black boots. I went over to my dresser and grabbed a pair of gray leggings . "There we go" I said to myself, laying my outfit on the purple office chair that lay in front of my desk. 

        I went along with my relaxing Saturday day, and spent most of  it sitting at my desk, replying to emails and what not. Next thing I knew, it was 1am.  I walked over to my bed, and crawled in, my cat curled up at my feet. "Goodnight Smokie" I said, getting a meow in return, and then fell into a deep sleep.