SEVEN ; gold

Gilbert, Sydney, and Bash sat in Gilbert's cot, Bash and Sydney sitting side by side while the dark-haired boy sat across from them.

Usually, Sydney would sit next to Gilbert, but ever since the peculiar dream Syd had last night, she had been in a daze and she couldn't seem to look Gilbert in the eyes for more than five seconds, nevertheless, be so close to him.

Gilbert looked through the small pile of letters he had received earlier that day, he had been putting off reading them in favor of spending time and making plans with Bash and Syd.

Syd quietly read the book, Frankenstein, out loud to Bash, who was listening closely, and looked at the intricate illustrations that Syd had added from the many times she had read the book.

Sydney Salem had always been a lover of literature, she had inherited that from her father. The Salem family didn't have much money but Cal always made sure they had a luxurious library filled with a world of books. So when Syd decided to leave Charlotte Town, she basically raided the home library and stuffed her bag with all the books that would fit.

As Gilbert flipped through the envelopes quickly, he passed a small, crumpled envelope with familiar handwriting. He did a double-take, furrowing his brows as he read the name of the quick-tempered girl he had so admired in the past.

'Anne Shirley-Cuthbert'

He quickly and messily ripped it open, worried something bad had happened back in Avonlea.

Syd felt a heavy weight on her shoulder and paused her narration. She looked down to see a sleeping, snoring Bash who had fallen asleep to the soft, lulling sound of her voice.

Bash's nose scrunched up as Syd's light hair tickled his face. Syd smiled softly at her friend, ever so delicately moving his head from her shoulder to lay down on the small pillow at the end of the cot.

Once Sydney had gotten Sebastian settled down and covered with the scratchy blanket, she looked up to see Gilbert's face scrunched up in confusion. She looked at the piece of paper Gilbert was reading.

"That looks fancy," Syd said softly, looking at the semi-neat cursive in blue ink, "what does it say?"

The whole time in the S.S. Primrose, Sydney had not gotten a single letter. It's not like she expected any mail, she had no family. But she half hoped to receive a simple "how are you?" from an old classmate are something. But no, nothing.

"There's gold in Avonlea?" Gilbert spoke in a questioning voice with the same look of confusion. Syd's eyebrows raised in shock.

"Gold?"

__

Syd watched as the short man in front of them poured Gilbert's and Bash's drinks, both were orange-tinted, but one was foggier than the other. She had decided to keep sipping on the cold glass of water instead.

"Blythe, you ready?" Bash asked the boy next to him. Syd was still focusing on the fast pour of the drinks, she was still in the same daze that the dream had brought.

"One rum, one babash." The worker repeated the order.

The two clinked their glasses and Bash took a small sip of his drink while Gilbert took a large swig.

"Ooh! Oof." Syd laughed as Gilbert's face scrunched up and his eyes tightly shut at the strong flavor of the rum. She looked beside her, Bash's face only contorted a small amount but staying mostly straight and stoic.