EIGHTEEN ; brainless sponge

"What do you mean?!"

Syd shouted, planting her feet apart firmly on the wooden floor and crossing her arms, making herself appear bigger although not any more intimidating. Gilbert chuckled, completely having expected this reaction put of Sydney. Bash's eyebrows raised up the heavens and he too smiled and shook his head.

"Not today, not by the little white girl." Bash continued to shake his head the entire time as he walked to the door and continued as he climbed up the stairs.

Gilbert turned his attention back to the blonde girl that was still pouting and holding a look of bewilderment with her jaw dropped to the floor.

"You know what I mean, Sydney." Gilbert feigned indifference and sighed as he got up, starting to do random housework that he otherwise would avoid like the plague. Anything just to see her pout and try to act intimidating. Anything to see her.

Sydney scoffed dramatically, throwing her arms up in the air, "I know what you said! I just don't understand why such stupid, idiotic, foolish words would fall from your lips?!"

Gilbert had to hold back a toothy grin as Syd whined and stomped her foot like a spoiled child that didn't get their toy and continued cleaning down the table. "I never knew how moronic the sentence, 'We need to go to Charlotte Town this afternoon,' was."

"You brainless sponge!"

Gilbert could barely hold in his laugh and cooed, "You say such sweet things to me Sydney Salem, nobody has a way with words like you do." He held his hands up to his chest in an adoring way.

"I can't go to Charlotte Town!" Sydney shouted, still throwing her hands around wildly as she spoke.

The incredulous look on Bash's face never faltered and Gilbert had to hold a hand over his mouth to stop his snickers from escaping his lips. Sydney might have stopped and admired him for a moment but she was still on a rampage and looking for answers from the older man.

"You're legs work, no?" Bash asked.

Sydney scoffed, walking over to him and crossing her arms roughly, "I can make them not."

Bash smiled his usual charming smile that usually Syd would have smiled back at but it was less charming now that she was so annoyed.

"Then, I don't see why you can't go, Doux-Doux."

Gilbert mocked understatement and nodded sharply, "Yeah, Doux-Doux. There's no reason not to go." Jesus Christ, Sydney thought, since when do they both have such cute smiles.

"Now tell me, Sebastian." Syd tilted her head, her wispy, blonde bangs has grown out a bit too much and now covered about half of her line of sight. "Do you think I wanted to spend over a year in a smelly boat with a bunch of smelly men and get nothing out of it except a duo of equally clueless boys!?"

Before Bash could get a syllable out, he was interrupted with his mouth half open by Syd yelling out a dramatic, "No!"

"I did it," the girl continued, "because I wanted to get away from Charlotte Town!" Sydney had thrown her arms around wildly in the air to further prove her point the entire conversation but now as Gilbert got absentmindedly closer to Sydney, as he usually did, it was proving harder to avoid getting whacked in the face by Sydney's arm.

"You can't avoid it forever, Salem." Bash winked playfully.

"I would beg to differ-!"

Smack!

And with one last arm swing, Sydney hit Gilbert, who was barely a few inches behind her, straight in the nose with the back of her hand.

Her mouth dropped to the floor and everything froze in the room as Gilbert's head flew back and his hand shot up to cup his nose, which Sydney assumed was dripping with scarlet blood.

Nothing could be heard except for Bash's hushed snickers, then the bleeding boy sighed heavily with a forced smile on his face.

Sydney winced, biting her bottom lip in anticipation of his next move. When Gilbert stayed silent, she hesitantly said, "I'll go get ready..." She smiled and laughed awkwardly and dryly, slowly backing out of the room until turning around and sprinting to her room.

"Ah, this has truly reminded me exactly why I live with you two." Bash smiled while Gilbert rolled his eyes.

__

"He's right, you know."

Gilbert and Sydney sat side by side on his bed, Sydney with one leg up on the bed to better turn her body towards the curly haired boy.

Sydney knew her cheeks must match the color of the blood the stained Gilbert's nose. It was hard for her to keep focused on cleaning up Gilbert's nose while being painfully aware of the perfectly pink lips that were under it. It was basically the only thing Syd ever thought about since the night in New York.

Gilbert Blythe consumed her entire being, his name etched itself on the deepest part of her heart, and he infected her with all but a bat of his eyes.

"Only because he's right doesn't mean I have to listen to him," Sydney shook her head, trying to avoid Gilbert's heavy gaze as the boy's eyes bore into Syd's sparkling and focused eyes. The damp, brown cloth in her head carefully wiped under Gilbert's nose, leaving behind a wet trail of blurred red.

"I know it's hard, going back to the place your parents died." Gilbert mumbled softly, almost as if he were afriad of her reaction. Sydney sighed in response, sitting back from their close positions and placing both hands back into her lap. The Blythe boy continued, gazing around at the room. "Trust me, I know."

Syd tucked in her lips uncomfortably and shook her head, her gaze falling down to look at her hands messing with the cloth. "It's not that, not really. I accepted my parents death a long time ago. To be honest, it never really hit me that hard. That sounds terrible now that I say it aloud,"

Sydney laughed a humorless laugh, Gilbert smiled as she pressed on. "I'm finally feeling like myself again. I lost everything in Charlotte Town, including my sense of self, and then instead of trying to find myself I just pretended to be someone else. I like who I am now and I just don't want a town sized reminder of what I lost."

A blazing hot feeling spread throughout Sydney's hand, she snapped back into reality to find Gilbert's large, soft hand completely covering her own. Looking up, Syd saw Gilbert smiling, a smile that can only be described as beyond resplendent.

"You really don't have to go if you don't want to Sydney."

Sydney grinned, trying to go back to her usual cheery self, "As much as I hate to admit it, Bash is right; I can't avoid it forever. I'll go get our coats."

Although Gilbert would never admit it, he hated nothing more than the moment their hands finally had to lose connection as Sydney left the room.

__

i know short chapter but hi i'm back, college sucks ass. that guy i ranted about in the comments last "chapter" turned out to be an asshole lololollool. seriously kill me dawg.

also i have a veerrrryyyy good idea for the angsty angst ;)))

alsooooo this chapter is inspired by me accidently slapping my dads pregnant girlfriend in the face while talking with my hands when i was explaining to my dad why i couldnt go to walmart with him