TWENTY-THREE ; new christmas

twenty-three
new christmas

"This is strange Gilbert

"This is strange Gilbert." Syd whined, practically stomping her feet like a child having a tantrum as they trudged their way to the Cuthbert residence. "I don't know them! Marilla Cuthbert was probably just inviting you and Bash. Yeah! Yeah, that's it, I should probably lea-"

Sydney's escape was stopped by Bash grabbing the neck of her winter coat and tugging her back on their path.

"Ooh, not you don't, Blondie." Bash chuckled sarcastically as he wrapped a strong arm around her arms despite Syd's tugging, not allowing her to escape. "If I have to go, you do too. I know these folk even less than you do!"

Gilbert scoffed, amused at his friends' antics. "I'm not dragging you to eternal torture, it's just dinner! The Cuthebrts are kind people."

"I don't doubt that for a second, Gilbert!" Syd exclaimed, grabbing onto Gilbert's arm by wrapping her hand around what she could of his bicep. "People who are no less than magnificent could earn the unrelenting love of Anne."

Gilbert smiled, quickly threaded his arm through Sydney's before she could pull away her warm hand. "See? You will have 'no less than a magnificent' time." He smirked as he watched Syd's smile drop into an exaggerated annoyed pout. Oh what Gilbert would do to lean in and ki-

"Ahem." Bash cleared his throat. "You gonna knock or just keep staring at each other like a couple of statues?" He grinned.

Gilbert's cheeks flushed an even deeper red than the brutal winter had already turned them as Sydney rolled her dark brown eyes, though she was also hiding the warmth of her face.

Clearing his throat as well, Gilbert raised his hand up to the wooden door and knocked twice.

A few seconds later, and a few moments of the awkward silence that Bash had created, the door opened and revealed a mix of emotions. Mr. Cuthbert stood slightly hunched, though still amazingly tall, and grinned slightly as hs stared down at Sydney and Gilbert but suddenly his grin dropped to a look of surprise when his gaze panned to Sebastian.

But before anything was said between the four, Mrs. Cuthbert stepped in between them with a wide smile and bright, twinkling clear eyes and welcoming them in.

Sydney mirrored the smile with glee, happy that the Cuthberts weren't just living up to her imagination, but exceeding it.

__

As the Cuthbert's and those of the Blythe house gathered together at the dinner table, a sort of warm feeling filled Sydney. She never imagined she would like Christmas much now that there was no possibility of a Salem family dinner.