Chapter 6: Thursday evening

It was the worst Thursday ever. Even though it was spring, it was raining all day long. There were exams programmed for that day, some stupid fights occurred in the middle of cheer practice and Rachel has been practically avoiding any sign of real conversation with her parents since she overheard the fight. Besides, her dad was away on some business trip – or that's what he decided to tell his kids – Rachel thought.

**********************************

- Tell me you're joking Phoebe laughed.

- Nope. That's just another thing that has happened to me Ross replied with a goofy smile. I mean WHY, WHY DO BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GOOD PEOPLE he added drammaticaly. 

Phoebe couldn't stop laughing at his drama queen moments. She was only four days in this new school but she already considered Ross a friend. She was really thankful he sacrificed his Sunday to show her around the school but it wasn't just that. The two of them had fun together. They weren't much alike but they could communicate perfectly. She didn't understand how Ross didn't have more friends. Sure, he used to hand out with George and Karl but nothing too special. Phoebe was quickly becoming a confidant of his.

- So, you'll come for dinner at our place tonight, right? My sister is cooking

- I wouldn't miss it for the world she said smiling.

**********************************

- Hey Mon Rach yelled running towards her.

- Rach, she smiled hugging her.

- Ugh I hate Thursdays. We don't have any classes together.

- Me too honey she laughed.

- Are you heading home? Rach asked eagerly

- Yep.

- Can I come with you? I don't wanna go home.

- Rach what's going on?

- What?

- Υou just seem to avoid your home as much as possible.

- Ugh you know how's in there. Amy and Jill are constantly screaming, my mom is always somewhere shopping, and dad's at work. My only company is Eva the housekeeper.

- Well I would love for you to join me but I really have to go to the city with my mom, to a doctor.

- What kind of doctor?

- Uhm she tried to think quickly  - it's for my mom, nothing serious.

- Ok. Rach said. If there's something wrong you can tell me.

- Nothing wrong. Look... Ross invited the new girl tonight. Why don't you come?

- I'd love to Rach replied

Later that night Rachel was with Monica at the Geller's kitchen gossiping about the upcoming beach school party and cooking for tonight.

- Are things better with Chip? Monica asked concerned

- Huh? she said lazily mixing the cake ingredients with a wooden spoon.

- I asked if things were better with Chip.

- I don't know Mon. I mean... remember how excited I was when he asked me out? It's like I had this idea of him in my head that is not really corresponding to reality she sighed. We never talk or have real conversations for that matter, you know like the ones we have. Monica felt a wave of guilt but let Rachel continue. He's so immature and well his lifestyle, his friends... I thought I was a part of it but all of a sudden all of their conversations and needs just seem shallow. I mean who am I to talk right? she laughed bitterly.