Chapter 7: The beach party

- Rach for how long are you gonna avoid me? Chip asked following her while she was only a few meters away from school.

- She turned around. What do you want from me?

- Tonight's the beach party and I want you by my side baby he approached her sweetly giving her a kiss. I missed you, you know

- She smiled slightly. Chip, we gotta talk. We can't just kiss and make up.

- Fine. I promise I'll be more caring and talkative but don't blame me for wanting my sexy girlfriend.

Hearing his words, she kind of melted in his arms. Being with Chip felt so easy sometimes, so carefree, it made her forget all her worries. 

- Fine she said smiling and attacking his mouth.

- Hey lovebirds Mindy appeared causing them to part. Can I borrow your girl? she said looking at Chip.

- Sure. Hey, have you seen Chris?

- Nope. Mindy replied. I guess he's still asleep

- Well he shouldn't because we have practice

- Not my problem honey Mindy said, dragging Rachel towards school.

- So, what do you need me for?

- Ok, so I'm in charge of the games tonight and you know, given you're the most popular in your grade, I'm expecting a good promotion to people.

- What games exactly?

- Oh you know. Truth or dare, never have I ever, spin the bottle Mindy winked. Everything that involves drinking and fun.

- Ok. Rach replied and tried to avoid her. I'll see you tonight. I'm meeting Monica in a bit.

*******************************

It was a warm night and the annual high school beach party would start in less than an hour. The weather was perfect, there were lanterns everywhere, a DJ set, and of course tables with lots of booze. All the popular kids from the 12th grade were in charge of the games, the drinking, and all the fun. While quieter kids, like Ross were just attending with no big excitement.

Ross was sitting by the coast with Monica and Phoebe and they were chatting about their following summer plans. He was waiting for college responses and he was in a huge dilemma whether he should go and live with his grandma in the city, in order to work or just spend the summer relaxing after all the studying he's done. Rachel approached them.

- Hey guys. I gotta go take the annual cheerleader booth photo but please promise me you'll join me later in Mindy's games. I won't be able to stand her whining.

- Sure Rach Monica said and before she even finished her sentence Rachel vanished.

- I've got to say, Monica, Phoebe commented, your friend is confusing me. She's spending time with all these fake people. She's dating the school's jerk and on the other hand, the other night at your place she seemed so down to earth.

- She is. Monica replied fast... She's just lucky or doomed to be so damn pretty. You know how school works she sighed. Maybe she's confused.

- Maybe Phoebe agreed.

- Aren't we all? Ross commented. 

It was like there were two Rachels. The real one, with the heart of gold and the tendency to carry the world's problems on her shoulders, and the popular one. The second Rachel seemed a bit tired of all this shit, but still, had fun sometimes being the gorgeous and popular cheerleader. Or this was just a shitty thought Ross has made up while trying to get to know for real, the girl of his dreams.