Chapter 40

I can't help but laugh when I finally pick up my phone again a couple days later and see a string of worried texts from Brian.

Brian: you good? you bunk with a friend last night?

Brian: text me when you get the chance

(Missed call x3)

Brian: please don't tell me that was you on the news

(Missed call x2)

Brian: gabi are you okay??

I chuckle and decide to just call him.

"Gabi thank god," his relief-filled voice answers almost immediately. "Are you okay? What happened?"

"I'm okay. What'd it say on the news?"

"Just that you were involved in some big police chase and then got shot. I tried coming to the hospital but they wouldn't tell me anything 'cause I'm not family."

"Wait, you came here?" I ask, shocked.

"Well yeah. My roommate was acting weird and then just disappeared and wouldn't answer her phone," he says. "All I had to go off of was what I saw on TV."

"T-thanks," I stammer.

"So how are you feeling?"

"Actually not bad. I'm sore just... everywhere, but it's getting better," I chuckle. "They decided to let me off with community service for a year since I didn't know what was going on with the guys I drove, but my license got revoked until I complete that. Besides, it was pretty obvious that I wasn't actually part of their team when the dude turned around and shot me, so..."

"Have you been alone at the hospital this whole time?"

"No no no," I smile. "My family got contacted when they brought me into the hospital. They're at home picking up some stuff right now but they've been coming in every day and hanging out with me."

Brian doesn't hide his surprise. "Family?"

I pause. "We-we weren't really on the best of terms before. But I think I'm probably going to be moving back home once all of this is over."

"Damnnnnn you're really just gonna up and leave me like that, huh?" I can practically hear him smirking through the phone.

"Don't be so sensitive," I laugh. "I'm still gonna be in LA. We'll keep in touch and I know imma be going to Harry's for all my car parts from now on."

"You better be," he says. "Glad to know I got the room to myself now, though."

"Yeah I bet that's a real bonus for you," I say dryly. I hear him chuckle over the phone.

"You take care of yourself Gabi."

"You too," I grin. "I'll talk to you later."

•-•-•-•-•

"Fucking finally," I groan when I step out of the car. Spending weeks in the hospital was starting to give me cabin fever. Letty came and picked me up today while the rest of the team stayed back to prepare for a barbecue at home. I'm still a little shaky but other than just taking it easy and trying not to overdo any physical activity, I'm finally back to my regular self.

I look up at the house in front of me.

"You okay?" Letty asks, coming up behind me and placing her arm around my waist.

"Yeah. It's just been a while."

Letty grins and pulls me by my hand. "Come on. Everybody's setting up in the back."