Intro

I watch as LAX disappears from view and the buildings transform from skyscrapers to small houses and mom-and-pop bodegas. 50 Cent starts playing on the radio, so I reach to turn up the volume but my mom slaps my hand away and turns it down.

"Aw come on Ma, lemme-"

"No te escuchas esta basura, I don't know why you even like that stuff anyway with your social justice warrior ass..." she starts muttering under her breath.

"It ain't trash Ma it's 50 Cent!"

"Exactly."

I huff and tune through the channels aimlessly, looking for good music until we pull into the driveway of a small, two-story house in the middle of a nice-ish neighborhood.

"The moving van will be here on Thursday okay mija? Just use whatever clothes you have in your suitcase until then," Ma said.

"Ma I only brought like two extra shirts can I please just wait to go to school until then?" I plead.

She pinches her nose, tired of this question.

"Fine. Fine, whatever. You'll start Friday instead of tomorrow. But no later me oigas? I don't care that it's the last day of the week."

I grin and pump my fist, happy that I can spend two days before having to go back to school.

"Love you too Ma," I say, grabbing my bag.

I lug the small suitcase up the stairs and drop it onto the floor of my new room before heading back to meet my mom at the front door with her suitcase.

"Can I walk around a bit, explore a little?"

She switched the suitcase to her other hand and reached into her pocket, pulling out a key.

"Just drive, it'll be safer. And take your phone with you okay? Don't text with anyone until you get back ¿me entiendes?"

I squeal, grab the key from her hand, and place a quick kiss on her cheek before running out the door.

"Understood! See you later!" I call.

"Be back by six or else I'll-!"

"Whoops," I mutter as I slam the car door shut, cutting her off. As I turn to look behind me my eye catches on a group of kids who seem to be my age hanging around one of the houses down the street. I feel a small pang in my chest, but I shake it off and put the car in reverse, focusing back on the road behind me.

All right Los Angeles, let's see what you got.