Chapter 34

"Vince who was on the phone?" I hear Mia ask.

"Dom. Says he's gonna meet with his lawyer today and see how his parole case is looking," Vince says, coming into the living room.

I look up from the paperwork I have spread out on the floor.

"Well tonight we'll pray that it goes well for him, so he can come home soon" I say. I reach out and tap Vince's leg before he can pass by me. "Come on V. I'm tired of this goddamn paperwork and don't you fuckin' try to get out of it this time." I leap up and grab his arm when he tries running away.

Vince grumbles and takes my place on the floor while I get up and grab my jacket. I hop into my car and take off, Mia, Jessie, and Letty following behind me. The rest of the afternoon we stay there, working on repairs for customers and continuing modifications on our own cars. At one point Letty takes Jessie and Mia to get some food and I am left by myself to work.

I jump at the sound of a deep voice at the door. For a moment I don't even recognize it, because I can't even believe it could be true, but when I turn to see the figure leaning against the doorframe my jaw drops.

"So this is what the Queen of the streets gets up to during the day?" Dom asks.

I finally find my voice and yell out with joy, dropping the wrench in my hands and throwing my arms around him. I hear Vince chuckling behind us and I turn my attention to him, not letting go of Dom.

"¡Cabron! You got him? Why didn't you tell me?!" I shriek.

He laughs and points behind him, where Leon is grinning. "We both went. That's what the call this morning was for. He already met with his lawyer days ago."

I pull back and smack Dom's arm. "Cabrón. Not telling me you were coming home."

"I wanted to surprise you guys," he grins. Our smiles only widen when we hear additional sounds of shock and turn to see Letty, Mia, and Jessie running over.

"Well you succeeded," I laugh, as Mia jumps into his arms.

•-•-•-•-•

I told no one about helping Nati. I see her sometimes with the people we're working for, but I've only ever sat outside places they need me to be during a job and driven them back to a warehouse on the edge of town when they're done, where I get paid and get sent off. I don't know what they do, and I don't ask. The less I know the better. The jobs take place late at night, so when they text me I sneak out of the house once everyone is asleep and come back when I'm done.

As Dom gets back into his racing groove, we start going back and forth on the streets (to both of our surprise), me beating him on some nights and him beating me on others. After a while we call it and decide to share King and Queen, which is something we find ourselves more than okay with.

Dom nudges my arm from his spot next to me on the couch, snapping me out of my thoughts. Everyone's spread out in the living room and Letty, Vince, and I are playing video games. Well, more like I gave up a while ago and am now watching my girlfriend get overly competitive with our goofball brother as they try beating each other in some racing game.

"You racing tonight?" Dom asks. I shrug.

"We'll see. If Tran is there I ain't even gonna bother with him," I mutter.

Dom chuckles and Letty speaks up from below.

"I think it'd be funny to watch you both beat his sore loser ass again," she says, crying out in victory when Vince crashes his car into a wall.

"How many times is he gonna come back? He knows nobody wants him there," I say.

"As many times as it'll take him to win, I guess," Dom shrugs. "He just wants the attention. He and his gang make enough money without the racing."