08

Chapter Eight: Matching
JENNIE'S POV

We finish the movie and walk out the theater.

"Oh my gosh! That was amazing!" Seulgi squeals, holding her bucket of popcorn.

Lia smiled, then choked out a sob. "And emotional," she added.

Seulgi nods along and they both stop walking, I stop too.

"Hey Jen. Something's been bothering you, what's up?" Seulgi asks.

I burst back into reality. "Oh uh- what?"

"Yeah," Lia agrees with Seulgi. "You've zoned off the whole movie. What happened?"

I shake my head and hands. "Nothing happened!" I say.

"Fake. Now spill," Seulgi said, throwing her now empty bucket of popcorn in the nearest trash can.

I sigh and look around the place, no one I familiarize is near. I shake my head and gave another sigh.

Maybe I was just hallucinating. Yeah, probably.

"Is everything okay? Are you tired?" Lia asks, concerned.

I give a fake smile. "Yeah."

No. I'm not tired. But that voice and name... I can't get it off my mind.

I see Seulgi and Lia exchange worried looks.

I brush a hand through my hair. "It's nothing girls. Now let's go shopping, okay? There's a mall near!" I said, changing the atmosphere.

Lia nods slowly. "I suppose. It is summer, we need new clothes," she said.

Seulgi nods along. "Mhm. Alright then, race you to the car!"

"Hey, not again!" Lia exclaims.

They both run in their designer boots and heels all the way to exit the cinema. I walk along after them.

I quickly scout the place for anyone familiar. Again, no one seems to be who I remember. Oh well.

As we exit the cinema, Lia starts the car and me and Seulgi enters to our usual seats.

"Let's go!" Lia said as she stepped on the pedal, driving off.

Seulgi cheered and turned on the car radio, playing some classical music.

We drive to the mall near the cinema, about a 10 minute drive in Lia's car.

I gaze out the window, trying to get my mind off things. It's not like coincidences are a thing, right? Maybe I was just hearing things.

Still. I can't help but feel guilty and awful about not returning or at least pay a visit to my best friends in the province.

I wonder how they're doing. Maybe they went to a city school, like I do? Or maybe they're still homeschooled. I don't know.

I sigh as I lean back into the car seat, hair strands falling on my face as I look down on my lap. I look at the bracelet that was tight around my wrist. It was the bracelet my mother got me before she completely changed.

She... she changed into a city person. Like she didn't even lived in the province. I knew she wanted change but not like this kind of change!

Flashback To 2 Years Ago

I arrive at the address, an apartment stands before my very own feet.