Chapter 10

The sun was rising, making the birds wake up to a warm morning. And not only the birds woke up from the sun. That star was shining in my eyes, forcing me to wake up. I sat up on the couch, stretching and yawning.

Letting myself fall back on the couch, I spotted another woman sleeping. I used that opportunity to relax a bit, since Faith never lets me. When I rolled over to dodge the sun, I got interrupted by something else.

'Another nightmare?' I thought, rolling over to see what she was doing. And I was right. She was laying on her side, but moved a bit around, mumbling to herself.

I found out about her nightmares the first time I slept at the lair. That night clearly wasn't a good one for her.

~Flashback~

"..please let me sleep…" I groaned, rolling over to face the wall. Something was stopping me from sleeping. Even though I was half asleep, I could hear someone murmuring. Giving up, I sat up and let my senses come back.

Now I could hear it crystal clear. I stood up to check a row before me, and there she was. Faith was drenched in sweat, rolling over a bit. She clearly had a nightmare. Poor girl…

When I took some steps further, her eyes shot open and she jolted upright, struggling to breathe.
I immediately rushed to her side, calming her down, hoping that she wouldn't cause a scene so everyone would wake up.

"Hey. Hey, it's okay. Just take some deep breaths.."
I said in a shushing tone while I was holding her in place. It must have been a really bad nightmare, since she wasn't calming down that fast. After a minute and a half, she finally caught her breath and calmed down. I wiped some wet hair strands out of her face and let my hands fall down onto her hands.

"Thank god you're okay… you scared me for a second..." I whispered. She was looking down to my hands that were holding hers. She yanked her hands away and gave me a cold look. This woman really is giving me a hard time here…

"Sorry I woke you. Just go back to sleep. You're gonna need it for tomorrow." She said blankly, looking away from me shortly after. There was something wrong. Her face says everything. Behind those cold eyes, there was sadness.

"What just happened there? You were freaking out and even forgot how to breathe for a second."
I asked her. She tried to play it off, but I could see through it.
"Don't worry about it. It happen-"
"Don't worry? You looked like you we're about to die!"
I yelled, but instantly regretted it and covered my mouth with my hands, quickly checking if I woke anybody up. Luckily all the others were heavy sleepers, so nobody woke up.

I sighed and looked back at her with an angry, but also worried expression.
"Maybe we should talk about this somewhere else. Come on. Let's go outside."

~End of flashback~

Just like before, I quickly rushed to her side and sat down near her. I placed a hand on her forehead and ran with that hand through her hair. It seemed to work a bit, since her breathing slowed down a bit.

And before I knew it, almost 5 minutes of me calming her down passed away. But I didn't mind. She's there for me when I'm in trouble, so it's only fair when I'm there for her too. We're friends after all.

Her eyes finally shot open, but she didn't jump out of bed. She was just laying there. Once she woke up, she immediately calmed down as well. But I ran my hand through her hair one final time before I pulled my hand back on my lap. She slowly sat up and moved one hand up to her head, like she was having a headache.

"I woke you up again. Didn't I?" Her voice was kind of shaky to be honest. I guess she saw something horrible… that nightmare must have been pretty intense.
"No, it's fine. I woke up some minutes ago." I said reassuringly.

She relaxed a bit and moved her hand back on her lap and slowly stood up.
"I guess your nightmares got worse? You seem pretty on edge."
"It's fine. Don't worry." She said coldly, no sign of that shaky tone anymore. Sometimes I admire how fast she can recover from those sorts of things.

"You should get ready. We need to go back to Noah and the others."
She added. I just nodded and did what I was told. I put on my shoes and tied my hair back in a ponytail. I actually just realized that my hair was down right now.
"I untied your hair. You should avoid sleeping when your hair is tied up that firmly. A headache is the worst you can get in your situation."
I heard Faith say from behind.

After me just fixing myself up we finally took off running. That's when I was able to really see Faith in action. Sure, I was able to see a little bit of her when she took me in. But back then I was not really concentrating on her. I need to ask her about that either way. But right now my all of my attention was shifting directly towards her. I don't know what it was. But I found it fascinating to watch her. Her just smoothly going over or under obstacles, not making one little mistake. It inspired me. Not only to continue living this new life I just got thrown in.

(3rd person view)

While (Y/N) was busy observing Faith, she didn't notice how far off Faith had gotten. Snapping back to reality, she quickly took off running again and tried her best to catch up with her. But that was more than a challenge. Since Faith grew up in the cabal, she had more time to train and to get her body in shape for this. But (Y/N) on the other hand didn't. You could say that she still was a rookie.

After some time Faith looked behind her to make sure (Y/N) was still in sight. That's when she noticed how far away she actually was and stopped for a moment so she could catch up to her. The (H/C) haired girl slowly caught up and quickly went to the nearest wall to lean against it while trying to catch her breath.

"Damn. You were training under Icarus's lead and still don't have much stamina. Guess he's not that good as a teacher after all"
Faith said and snickered a bit afterwards.
"Come on Faith. I know you hate him but at least give him a chance." (Y/N) clearly wasn't happy with Faith's comment. Maybe because she knew how it felt. Knowing someone is saying things like that behind your back.

(Y/N) quickly recovered and was ready to run again
"I actually didn't tell you about this… but…"
(Y/N) was hesitant to talk. She slightly looked down at her shoes, trying to find the right words. Faith gave her a confused look and was waiting for her to continue talking. But after a while she just shook her head and looked back up to her

"... forget it. It's not important now." (Y/N) said and fixed her hair a bit in the process.
"Um… okay. You know you can come to me and talk about anything."
"Yes. I know." (Y/N) responded. "Come on. We need to get going." She added and took off running again, Faith quickly following her.