19. The Sun

Our clothes dried long ago fast with the sun and our previous exertion. We aren't running anymore but our bodies won't let us continue much longer. I can see Roone clutching his midsection and struggling hard to breathe. Blackie was still off rope so Fredi was holding him up while we walked. My body felt so heavy even though I wasn't walking and I was being carried. The last thing I remember was loosing hold of Roone. Wait?

I look over again and see Roone barely managing a walk. If he's not carrying me then... I look up and see Riva cracking the slightest smile at me. I wanted to say thank you but that felt like too much energy and I didn't have enough breath to spare. Every once in a while my eyes would flutter, trying to stay open despite Riva telling me that it was ok to rest.

"Well lookie there baby girl, we've made it to the next stop. My big bro ain't the only one with medical skills so I can patch you up just fine while he slacks off." I can barely smile at his humor. Part of me feels like a burden with the way he's starting to pant from exersion.

Because Fredi and Blackie seemed to be the healthier and free ones, they alone went inside to check if it was safe for us to go in. Once it's cleared and barricaded, Riva set me down on one of the tables they had. His sweater was underneath my head so I had something soft to lay on. Exhaustion had finally won because I didn't see or feel whatever he did. I only woke to something delicious that was cooking and the fire crackling. The boys were chatting lightly while Blackie sounded like he was chewing on something.

Willing my eyes open, I see the four of them around the campfire. Roone was reclined on the couch drifting on and off. Fredi and Riva were eating until they see me awake. "How you doing baby girl, you've been out for almost two days. You hungry?"

As if on command my stomach growls louder than a freshie which saves me the energy of responding. Graciously accepting the small tray of food he gave me. Despite my relief of satisfying my hunger, I keep looking over at Roone who finally seems to be sleeping. Feeling guilty, I try not to think about how many times he's gotten hurt trying to help me. The last thing I want to do is bring that kind of pain and trouble to his little brother.

Whether we liked it or not we had to stay at the station for a week. Our bodies needed the break. Luckily for Fredi and Riva, they didn't get too banged up in the flood besides the usual cuts and bruises. It was Roone and I who seemed to the ones who drew the short straw. Especially me. By the way body has taken a beating, I'm pretty sure that a paper cut will be the end of me. Twice already my stitches have torn open. Swelling and reddening, not to mention bleeding and both times I've passed out shortly after. The damage my lungs took because of the flood. Add a little concussion to the list as well.

Fuck me, now I can't stop.

I've had probably three concussions, although I don't exactly remember all of them. A dislocated shoulder twice, multiple cuts on my legs and hands, fallen down a hillside, hit on the head with a gun, almost got hypothermia twice, been through a small avalanche and a flash flood, attacked by a mountain lion and finally outran a forest fire that contained a hoard. Oh and those fucking assholes who ambushed me on the hunt.

Continuing to count and remember, within those ten and half months I have had to walk in the sun unwillingly three times. All three occasions required a quick getaway. It's felt like a goddamn eternity. However, I never thought twice about the big bright circle in the sky. First impression when I crawled out of the car was that it was way too bright. It was painful, irritating, hot and dangerous given the fact that the zombies reign during the day.

When Fredi first told me about his plan to go to Alaska, to a state with no sun for two months, only night? My first instinct was to think that he was crazy. As he explained it shifted to it being too good to be true. When he told the boys, they were just as apprehensive as I was but eventually we all agreed with taking the chance no matter how absurd it may sound to anyone else.