Someone New

You pulled through the crowed streets, ducking your head and trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. Your feet still ached from the constricting shoes, and you were weighed down from the many bags of clothes you had bought, yet no shoes were suitable in your opinion. All of them were either too fancy, too expensive, or poorly made. And your cheeks still burned from embarrassment and fear.

You were using this mission, this search for clothing and food and... Weaponry as a way to mask your hummingbird heart.

Sebastian was a demon?! Why didn't you see it before? You were skilled in identifying them, you should be by now! Years of bouncing from demonic place to demonic place, fighting off the fiends and still you were fooled. If you had been sharper perhaps you wouldn't be out here, perhaps your house wouldn't have been set alight.

God, it was obvious! His gloved hands, his restless night sleep... His refusal to eat breakfast.

Your lip trembled, memories of demons who lived up to their demonic titles replayed in your head.

Still, you pressed on, following the busy school of people. Each body's weight sandwiching you to the ones before you.

A small crack in the human barrier led you down a narrow alleyway. The sewer water burned your nose and eyes, and with each blink, you could feel foul tears prickling up. The stench chased you far from the comfortable busy roads, and rats charged towards your feet as the growl of hungry guard dogs beat you from behind.

You took off further, a rickety wooden door was hanging open and you threw yourself into its safety, latching it after you.

Exhausted, you dropped your bags to the ground, unlacing your painful shoes before looking around.

It was quiet.

Dust covered cobwebs swayed as the wind swept under the door.

You closed your eyes, allowing your thoughts to silence, and drifting into a fatigued daze.
Whipping your face, you stood, bare feet trotting over the obtuse floor boards.

The uneven nails scratched your skin with each step.

"And what do we have here?" A curious voice sounded from behind you.

You flinched, spinning to see who was there, only to find no one. You scanned the room and spotted a tray of medical tools, hastily you grabbed the small knife and held it out. "Who's there?" You shouted, the ominous chuckles bounced off the walls, "Please, I mean you no harm, but if you force my hand to violence than I will act in whatever way is necessary."

"Well, I have no intention of forcing your hand, dearie, and I will answer all your questions if... You can show me a first-rate laugh."