NightSong

Sometimes, he just wanted the world to shut the fuck up.

Bakugou Katsuki could not be considered a quiet individual. His classmates would happily inform anyone that would listen that one of Bakugou’s favourite ways to enter a fight was to scream “DIE!!” at his opponents, complete with ear-ringing explosions bursting from his palms. Sometimes his palms would even crackle ominously merely from being annoyed, his teeth clenched so hard you could almost hear them grinding. In other words, with him, loudness was unavoidable, even if he’d calmed down significantly since he first entered UA Academy.

That didn’t mean he enjoyed noise all the goddamn time, especially when he was trying to fucking sleep.

Needless to say, though he was hardly the exception, Bakugou was having trouble adjusting to dorm life. It wasn’t that he especially wanted to go home (because who the hell in his position would?) but dealing with his idiot classmates day in and out was putting considerable strain on his already-frayed nerves. Not to mention now that even night-time didn’t grant him much reprieve, as a bunch of his classmates downstairs in the living area were shrieking and laughing. God knows at what, but it was bound to be stupid, whatever it was.

Another time, another place, he might well have kicked his door open, palms ablaze and sorted out his damn self, but he really didn’t feel like listening to another one of Aizawa’s bitchfits, especially right off the heels of the last one, and since apparently everybody else seemed to find it so fucking funny…

A snarl bubbled in his throat at the thought, and at the chorus of laughter ringing out as if to confirm it, and Bakugou’s knuckles clenched so hard they turned white. He had never been very good at sitting still and waiting for something to pass and he wasn’t about to start now. With a growl, Bakugou wrenched the covers off and stood up. Since he usually slept in a tank top and jogging bottoms, he simply stalked over to the window and wrenched it open, teeth gritting at the little squeak.

Night air brushed over his skin, the scent of earth after a recent rainfall sharp and tangy in the gentle breeze. Bracing his bare feet on the windowsill, Bakugou began to scale the side of the building, which was child’s play compared to a cliff face. He didn’t know if they were technically allowed to be up there, but since none of the teachers had expressly stated it to be forbidden, it was fair game as far as Bakugou was concerned. Anyway, he wasn’t about to beg permission from anybody.

Anyway, climbing onto the roof had to be a much smaller offence than exploding the living room.

His experience with mountain climbing made scaling the dorms a piece of cake, even barefoot. As Bakugou climbed, however, his ears picked up a sound, inbetween the sounds of his own grunting and the muffled bursts of laughter and shouts from inside. He paused, cocking his head to listen.

The gentle strumming of a guitar floated through the air, the notes clearer now that Bakugou had halted his progress and was nearly at the lip of the guttering wrapped around the roof.

Something about the music was pleasing to him and he hung there for a moment, ignoring the pressure on his fingers and toes. Normally Bakugou’s musical tastes tended to lean towards his personality – brash, relentless and prone to screaming – but there was something about the melody that compelled him to absorb it, like he was breathing it in as he listened. The instrument of choice prevented it from being too sappy and therefore unworthy of his time, but there was an air of melancholy, a kind of yearning that seemed precisely honed to hit the heart of whoever heard it.