17: Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight!

I took a deep breath as I watched the demigods get ready for war. Before it had all been fun and games, but as night crept closer, we all were facing the reality of the situation.

Soma had said that Styx would most likely plan to fight just as the sun started to set. That way, Lester would have a bit less power, and it was early enough that Soma, the off-brand moon goddess, wouldn't quite be in her element yet either. I had to give Styx credit for that, at least.

Soma was leading us into battle, for obvious reasons, and Apollo was going to be close behind. He had officially decided that he wasn't going to hold back his help, no matter what Zeus said.

I walked over to Soma, who was yelling at a group of people to grab some weapons already. I think she was enjoying the authority.

Soma glanced over at me and then began walking in my direction.

"What in the-" I began, staring at Soma. "Did you make yourself taller?"

Soma grinned. "Maybe."

I stood next to her and measured her compared to me with my hand. Sure enough, Soma was taller than me now. She still wasn't that tall, but she definitely wasn't short anymore.

I huffed. "I guess it makes you look more intimidating, that's for sure."

"I could be taller if I wanted to," Soma smirked, "but I figured it's weird enough me be a goddess, if I was like 20 feet tall that might be a bit of a shock."

I squinted at her. "Yeah, that would be pretty weird. Okay, I know this is dumb, but I need to ask. Are you really blonde?"

Soma laughed. "Yeah. I just really don't like blonde hair. I dunno, black with silver is way more my style."

"I guess so," I said with a chuckle. Then I got serious. "Do you think that we have a chance?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Duh. Of course we have a chance."

I frowned. "Right. Shouldn't ask the determination goddess."

"Hey," Soma said sharply. I startled at her outburst. She grabbed my shoulders so that I faced her, then jabbed at my chest. "We got this. You got this. Miles, we are going to win, okay? You have to trust me on this."

I blinked at her, starting to feel motivated to fight. We were going to win, if I had anything to do about it.

"Soma, how are you doing this?" I asked, staring at my hands, even though they had nothing to do with anything. Soma put an arm around my shoulder, and said, "It's what I do Miles. Determination is a wonderful thing." She smirked, then said, "Watch this." Soma pointed a finger at a nearby camper who was carrying a few sheathed swords down to where we were setting up for the battle.

Out of nowhere, he yawned, put down the swords and just lay on the ground.

"Dang," I said. "So that's what you want to do to Styx?"

"Yup." Soma flicked her fingers at the demigod again, and he hopped up, grabbed the swords and started sprinting.

"And that's what you are going to do to us?"

"All the halfbloods are going to be a little energetic tonight."

I smiled. "I guess that's what we need." After a moment, I added, "but seriously, stop motivating me, I feel like I want to run a marathon."

"So why don't you?"

"Soma!"

"Okay, fine." I instantly relaxed, however I knew that I still felt determined to win. But this was all me. Soma may not have been making me more motivated that very second, but she had sparked that determination inside me.