𝑂𝑁𝐸

it's been 5 years since mom and dad passed away.

i live with my aunt and uncle. Aunt Sylvia and Uncle Marshall. they have one child named Brenna. Brenna is 2 years older than me. i'm 16 and she's 18

we just moved to Shadyside from Chicago. Chicago was a beautiful place but Uncle Marshall wanted to start over, in a new place.

i felt the same so we packed up everything and moved here.

-
"you ready?" Brenna helped me put on a necklace in the mirror.

we grabbed our backpacks and started walking. we were quite close to the school anyways.

"i'm so nervous" Brenna looks at the ground. she's really anti social. yeah she's pretty and all but, she hates public spaces.

"don't worry you got this" we finally arrived to the front of the school and i gave Brenna a pep talk.

"you are amazing. you can do this. you are gonna kill this year. when you walk in there all the boys are gonna want you. no wait i take that back, forget the men. you're doing this for yourself! now get in there and tell everyone that you are gonna slay this bitch!" she looked very surprised when i said that. i think she got the message pretty well so we entered.

the outside of the school was packed already which made me a bit nervous too.

"where the office?" i asked a girl with really curly hair and headphones around her neck.

"oh, are you guys Juno and Brenna?" Brenna looked at me, "yeah, we are"

"cool! i'm Deena. i was supposed to show you around but we already met. come with me"

Brenna looked relieved. i was relieved that she was relieved.

"here's your schedules, Juno and i have the same schedule actually.." Deena pointed out while trailing off.

She firstly lead Brenna to her first class and found someone to help her out for the day.

"DEENA!"

i heard a loud voice behind us.

"SIMON, WHATS UP!" she yells back.

The guy started approaching us. he seemed scarily friendly.

"Who's this?" he looked me up and down. i'm pretty sure he was checking me out.

"i'm Juno, Juno West" i stood awkwardly. right off the bat he made a well impression.

"ok well, we are headed to Chemistry how about you?" i asked.

"same. let's go" he shrugged. "i'm surprised you are actually going to class for once" Deena laughed. the bell rang and the halls flooded with gross teenagers.

"everyone here is weirdly peppy. don't feed into their peppy-ness" Simon whispered to me from behind as the teacher was entering. i laughed a bit.
-

the day was almost over. after 6th period it was lunch and i met the rest of Deena and Simon's friends.

"that's Kate, the drug dealer, josh, my brother, and sam, my girlfriend" she leaned over to sam and put her arm on her shoulder.

"hey! i'm Juno. i'm from Chicago" i said to everyone.

"so what do you like to do?" kate pulled out a brown bag and proceeded to smoke a blunt.

i was a little caught off guard but i didn't care. Brenna got high once..that didn't end well.

"well, i like to read. i read a lot. i also used to do track and i had my own feminist club in Illinois." everyone looked suspiciously intrigued in my life.

"that's really cool" Simon admired me like an art piece in a museum. i felt honored to be admired by such a cute guy.

"Deena stop making out with Sam, i swear to god you guys are so fucking annoying" josh got irritated and went back to writing in his sketch book.

we all laughed.

"anyways..want some drugs?" kate offered.

"kate, calm down" i could tell Simon was Kate's peace man. he kept her calm.

"ok well, we have to get to the last class" Deena said and picked up her backpack.

"your place? after school?" Kate stopped Deena and I.

"you know what, fuck it. let's skip out!" everyone looked at Simon and then looked at each other.

"oh uh- i just have to go get my cousin, if that's ok? she'll just come with us. she's just down the hall here. give me a minute" i jogged out of the lunch room looking both ways in the hallway making sure no one was coming.

Deena told me what room she was in.

256..Found it!

i knocked lightly and a rather tall lady answered.

"hi, can i see Brenna, Brenna west?" i lowly asked.

"what are you doing!?" she whispered yelled.

"come here" i dragged her to the cafeteria to everyone else.

"this..this is your cousin?" kate loosely admired her.

"yeah yeah whatever, let's go" i rolled my eyes still holding Brenna's hand and everyone slyly exited the cafeteria.