My life is borrowed

§Medusa§

"Alec, this is absolutely bonkers," I said, holding a peach in my right hand as the third hour of him painting me commenced.

My child put his brush down and approached me "You know this is the first time I've ever had arms, and I want to make the most out of it." He grabbed the peach from my hand and took a bite of it, and then placed it back on my palm "Is that lighter, momma?" A sly smirk appeared on his lips.

A deep sigh left my mouth—I guess he's right "All right, continue." Alec is my child and I cannot deny him everything, especially since he has always been there for me.

For another two hours I was lying there with half of my body numbed, but anything for Alec and his wishes. When he was done I got up on my feet and rushed to his side to see the image on the canvas.

"Alec..." I stood there, mesmerized by the realistic painting of myself "this is absolutely brilliant," I glanced at him with tears forming in my eyes.

"Do you really think so?" He scratched his right ear, and seemed truly unsure about my comment.

"I know it," I stood in front of him with my hands on his cheeks "you have a talent, and you've only had arms for three days; some humans study for years to acquire these skills, and still never manage to have it, but you do."

"Do you reckon we could sell it?" He asked excitedly. "I want to buy you a pretty present."

My heart tightened at his words "Bubba you don't have to get me anything, and you know we can't leave the island."

Alec crossed his arms, seemed upset "But I'm not you, and maybe I could leave the island and bring you something special, something you deserve. How much time has it gone by since someone has given you a gift?"

Shattering my bubba's wishes is not something I enjoy "Athena gives me a peaceful life, and she provides everything for me—"

"No, that's not what I mean," he sat on the edge of the daybed and let out a deep sigh. "I'm part of your curse...he created me to be part of what you loathe the most."

A frown appeared on my face as I knelt in front of him "Baby, that rubbish has nothing to do with our relationship; don't give him that power because he has had enough. Everything we have between us is because we've created it."

"Your mother is right, Alec," the voice of the goddess who saved me said.

I immediately looked behind my shoulder and got up to approach her "Theá," I bowed down in front of her and took her right hand to kiss her ring "I didn't know you were visiting me today; I would've prepared something but you must—"

(Goddess.)

"Medusa, you know I'm not one to care for welcome banquets," she said in a soft tone, and pinched my chin to make me look up at her. "On your feet, darling."

Quickly I complied and hid my hands behind my body "Your highness, I want to introduce you to one of my children," I glanced at Alec behind me and he was already back to his birth-form.

"That's incredible, Medusa," she walked past me towards the daybed, and I followed behind her. "How did you do it?" Deities are able to shift form but there hasn't ever been a potion or concoction that can be used to mimic such abilities.