What Lies Behind

"Turn around." The creature of darkness instructed her... Y/N almost didn't want to... images of the poor woman in the town square flashing through her mind... not wanting to end up that way.
    "Are you just going to kill me?" She asked in terror, warranting what seemed to be an irritated huff of air... that smelt like old blood and rotting meat.
     "No." Was the reply, even if she 100% didn't trust it.... but she didn't dare go against its orders... Slowly, the doctor turned...blinking tears out of her eyes so she could see... before being met with black fur... she had to step back... since the thing was so... so tall... even if hunched over her.
     Staring down at her was what resembled the skull of a wolf, glowing white pinpoints in the sockets of the skull... drool dripping from its sharp maw, a long, pointed tongue licking its muzzle as it stared at her. On the top of its head were very large, skeletal ram shaped horns, pointed black ears behind it.
     Her eyes slowly travelled down, its boney spine prominent on its thick, black furry coat, a thick, long tail behind it, so long it laid on the floor... similar to a wolf's tail. And finally, it's ginormous feet that also had sharp talons on the ends of the paws, the creature seeming to look like it was standing on its toes, even if it was simply hunched.
    She had no idea what kind of thing she was looking at... all she knew was that it was extremely dangerous... The doctor took a tiny step back, her foot tripping on something, before she went plummeting backwards... and was quickly caught by the beast... falling into its large hand. It was so big... it was like she fell into a chair...
    "What do you want?" She tried to ask with a demanding tone, some confidence, but just sounded a little less quiet.
   "Mm. Spring season, needs mate... mate for life. You... young... make babies for me." It explained in a such a crude, primal way, leaning its face into her closely.
   "Make- no! I would never! Never for you! You... killed that woman... killed her child and gave it to me. Your sick." She spat, fire in her veins as she grew angry with it... wriggling away from its hand. "Go mate something like you." She growled... the beast did not get mad, just stared.
    "Never found other... only you... pretty you." It growled in... a higher... almost happier tone. She hated it.
"Well, I don't care, leave me, and the people in my town alone." She retorted sternly, her hands shaking in fear, but she had to stand up for her town...
"..." It gave a little whine, probably from irritation... it just wanted her. It didn't want a different creature... they'd have strong puppies and it'd be able to care for her perfectly! It didn't understand what the big deal was.... it also apparently did not have a grasp of emotions very well- "But take care of you..." It then waved its claw towards the village. "They don't... very weak, not weak." It then pointed to itself... the beast seemed to be having a hard time with English and just talking in general.
Y/N simply stared... it seemed like it didn't even know what it did wrong... the thing truly thought like an animal, and from a primal stand point, this beast really was the best mate. But she wasn't an animal who thought like a wolf, she was a normal human.
"Well, I don't want a mate." She replied with a huff, crossing her arms. "Now... leave my... uhm.." She was trying to talk how it talked so it would understand. "Get out of my territory, and take your mating present." She ordered with a false confidence.... before turning and opening the door, gripping the handle harshly so her hand wouldn't shake before walking inside... slamming and locking the door, a choked breath coming from her mouth... peaking through the window on the door at the creature... hoping it would actually listen...
To her surprise... it did... The beast slowly picked up the disgusting things off her porch... even the flowers and such... cupping them in its hand with a weird sort of... care.
Y/N watched until it eventually left, disappearing into the night.
She hadn't been able to sleep the whole night, paranoid and staring at the windows and doors... her muscles tensing as she heard a pained howl echo through the night.... and she knew exactly who it was.

{Pssst, the cover of the book is exactly what our little creature man looks like for visualization}