III

They stood before the once great structure, now overgrown and broken.

    "This was the great watchtower of Amon Sûl." Aragorn said, "We shall rest here tonight. "

    They walked up the watchtower finding an area somewhat secluded, and the Hobbits sat down quickly, exhausted from travel. Aragorn tossed them each a sword. "These are for you. Keep them close. I am going to have a look around. Stay here."

    Eadrid had decided to stay with the hobbits to rest her feet that had become so tired, but she could not seem to sit any longer with the feeling of being pursued so closely. She got up, telling the Hobbits she was going to join Aragorn. They nodded, continuing their conversation in hushed tones to not wake Frodo.

    Eadrid walked down the long path that circled the watchtower, only being able to see by the moonlight that lit up her surroundings. She finally saw Aragorn, sword in his hand. He looked around him, and he seemed wary of what loomed in the darkness. "Have you seen anything?" She asked, standing by his side.

    "No." He shook his head, "As long as we stay hidden we will be safe."

They were immediately interrupted as loud shrieks were heard in the darkness ahead of them. Aragorn and Eadrid whipped around, seeing a fire burning where the Hobbits lay.

Eadrid cursed to herself as the her and Aragorn ran back up the path they came. They arrived where the Hobbits had made a fire, but they were now gone. Aragorn grabbed a stick, lighting the end of it in the dwindling fire. He handed it to Eadrid, and made another for himself as he urged her up the stairs to the top of the watchtower. They climbed up, and as they got closer, heard the yells of Hobbits and the shrieks of Ringwraiths.

They burst to the top, and Eadrid rushed over to where Frodo laid. There was a large gash in his chest, and Sam was in tears as he tried to comfort him. She sensed a Ringwraith behind her, and stood with her torch stretched before her. It walked forward, its dark cloak flowing behind him and a long black sword at his side. Eadrid unsheathed her own sword, pressing forward with the torch in her hand. Metal clashed against metal, before she finally had the opportunity to lunge forward and light it with fire. It ran off into the shadows, its black cloak burning to ash.

Finally, there was only one left, and Aragorn nodded to Eadrid to take care of it as he rushed to Frodo. Eadrid threw her torch straight in to the Ringwraith's hooded face, and it screamed and ran, falling off the watch tower.

"Strider! Help him Strider." Sam yelled, and Eadrid ran over to Frodo once again.

"He's been stabbed by a Morgul blade." Aragorn said, holding up the sword, but it crumbled to dust, burning his hand. "This is beyond my skill to heal. He needs elvish medicine." He picked Frodo up, rushing to where we came from on the watchtower.

Eadrid followed after him, her heart pounding, and looked back to see the other Hobbits still in shock. "Hurry!" She yelled. 

"We are six days from Rivendell. He'll never make it!" Sam cried. Eadrid pushed them along, despite the despair that slowed them. 

Aragorn laid Frodo down, knowing that he needed to slow the poison. She knelt by Frodo, seeing him gasping and groaning in pain. His skin was pale, and his eyes were not the natural blue they were before.

"Is he going to die?" Sam asked her.

"He's passing into the shadow world." Eadrid said, feeling his face and forehead. "He will soon become a wraith like them."

They heard a Nazgûl cry in the distance, and Frodo gasped.

"They're close." Merry whispered, his eyes wide.

"Sam, do you know Athelas plant?" Aragorn asked him.

"Athelas?"

"Kingsfoil." He said quickly.

"Kingsfoil? Ah, that's a weed."

"It may help to slow the poison." Aragorn pushed him towards the trees that surround them, "Hurry!"

Eadrid stayed with Frodo, trying to calm him and lift his head, when a bright light surrounded them.

It became dark as soon as it came, and Eadrid lowered her arm and saw Arwen walking towards them.

"Frodo... Im Arwen. Telin le thaed. Lasto beth nin. Tolo dan na galad." Arwen said in elvish, kneeling by him. Arwen looked anxiously to Aragorn. "He's fading!"

Frodo gasped in pain as Aragorn placed the Kingsfoil on his wound.

"He's not going to last." Arwen said, looking over him. "We must get him to my father. I've been looking for you for two days." Arwen stood, looking to Aragorn and Eadrid. "There are five wraiths behind you. Where the other four are, I do not know."

Aragorn lifted Frodo onto the Arwen's horse. "Stay with the Hobbits. I will send horses again for you."

Eadrid shook her head. "I'm the faster rider. I'll take him."

"The road is too dangerous."

"Frodo dies. If I can get across the river, the power of my people will protect him." She saw Aragorn and Eadrid's weary looks. "I do not fear them."

Aragorn nodded. "According to your wish."

Arwen mounted to horse, Frodo seated before her.

"Arwen!" Aragorn called to her. "Ride hard. Don't look back! "

Aragorn and Eadrid turned around to the rest of the hobbits "What are you doing?" Sam cried. "Those wraiths are still out there!"