XXXI

Eadrid burst into the hall that served as the fellowship's room for the night, and saw Pippin holding the Palantir. His face was contorted in pain, but no scream could come out.

"Help him!" Merry cried.

Eadrid took the orb from his hands, but her limbs seemed to seize, and the pain in her stomach ached once more. It fell from her hands and into Aragorn's, who dropped it and it rolled away.

Finally Gandalf ran after it and covered it quickly with a blanket.

He whipped around, his eyes wild. "Fool of a Took!" But quickly they turned sorrowful as he saw Pippin lying on the ground, unmoving. "No." He muttered and fell to the ground next to him.

Eadrid kneeled on the other side of him and put a hand on his forehead, on his cheek.

Gandalf muttered something Eadrid couldn't understand, and suddenly Pippin gasped and sat up.

"Look at me." Gandalf commanded.

"Gandalf, forgive me!"

"Look at me!" Gandalf said harshly. "What did you see?"

Pippin took a few breaths. "A tree, there was a white tree in a courtyard of stone. It was dead... The city was burning."

Eadrid's eyes widened, she knew of what city he spoke. She turned to Aragorn but his eyes were fixed on Pippin.

"Minas Tirith?" Gandalf asked. "Is that what you saw?"

"I saw- I saw him! I could hear his voice in my head."

"And what did you tell him? Speak!"

"He asked me my name." Pippin shook his head. "I didn't answer. He hurt me!"

Gandalf put a hand on his shoulder. "What did you tell him about Frodo and the Ring?"

_____

The fellowship reconvened in the morning. Eadrid's clean appearance did nothing to hide her tired eyes, though she saw the other's eyes held the same tiredness. 

Gandalf paced. "There was no lie in Pippin's eyes. A fool but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring."

Eadrid's shoulders sagged in relief.

"We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the Palantir a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith."

This time as Eadrid looked at Aragorn next to her, he met her eyes.

"His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing. He knows the Queen has been found." Gandalf nodded to Eadrid. "And the Heir of Elendil has come forth." Eadrid forced her back a bit straighter as everyone looked to her and Aragorn. "Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still. Strength enough, perhaps, to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle Earth uniting under one banner. He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a King and Queen return to the throne of men. If the beacons of Gondor are lit Rohan must be ready for war."

Theoden took a step forward, his arms crossed. "Tell me! Why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours? What do we owe Gondor?"

"I will go!" Aragorn said quickly.

"No!" Gandalf snapped.

"They must be warned!"

"They will be." Gandalf approached Aragorn and spoke in a low voice. "You must come to Minas Tirith by another road. Follow the river. Look to the black ships." Gandalf turned back to the rest. "Understand this, things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith and I wont be going alone." Gandalf looked to Pippin, who stared back with wide eyes.

_____

And so all they could do was wait as Gandalf and Pippin rode to Minas Tirith. Eadrid talked to her father for a long time about his decision of Gondor's aid. When he shut her out of his room from her constant pestering, she finally gave up, hoping that she was able to change his mind even if only slightly.

Eadrid went to the hall for dinner, and sat with Gimli and Legolas. 

She put food onto her plate, but did not pick up her fork. She stared at it, shoulders hunched.

"Eadrid?" She looked up to see Gimli waving his hand in her face.

Eadrid shook out of her daze. "I am sorry."

Gimli quickly glanced at Legolas, who stared at her concernedly.

"It's alright, lass. What was I was going to say, was I am honoured to be in the presence of Your Majesty, the Queen."

Eadrid looked up slowly from her plate with an eyebrow raised. 

"Yes." Legolas nodded his head in agreement. "We never got to offer our respect."

They both stood in unison, and bowed before her. Eadrid rolled her eyes, knowing they were making fun of her. She raised her empty mug. "While you're up, would you mind?"

They laughed and Gimli took it and filled it for her. They sat down again with smiles on their face.

"What?" She asked, taking a bite of her food.

"What do you mean, lass?" Gimli put his elbows on the table and leaned forward. "It was not only the race of men that heard of your tale to come."

Eadrid furrowed her brows in confusion.

"My father and his father and the one's before them have all told stories to their children of The Benevolent Queen, Eadrid. Long have I wondered who that woman would be, and never would I realize I would become friends with her."

"It is true." Legolas said, seeing her hesitance. "My father told me that one day when the elves would pass, into the hands a great King and Queen would Middle Earth be passed to. Long did he tell me of the beautiful and menacing queen."

"What stories do you speak of?" Eadrid put down her fork. "Only have I heard of the poem."

"Well," Gimli said. "The poem speaks of what must come, but long have stories been formed of what great things the Queen would one day do. Stories of adventures and trials. Where they came from I do not know and if they will pass I cannot say either, but I must tell you lass, the stories were extraordinary."

Eadrid looked to Legolas, who nodded his head in agreement.

"Sometimes I feel as though I do not want that fate." She said in a quiet voice. The two peered at her with confusion. The words she held inside finally came forth. She looked at them with unwavering eyes. "Who am I to lead those men, to lead their battles? Why is it I that hold so many lives in my hands, their very well-being determined from my actions? I know it is what I must do, and I will fight for and serve those people until the last of my days... but sometimes my destiny seems... misplaced."

Gimli shook her head. "Eadrid... don't you know who you are? Never have I seen such fierce a woman, which isn't saying much since we don't get much woman down in the mines." Gimli said quickly and Eadrid laughed. "I don't think you see just how much your people look up to you. You have the power to sway your king's decisions, he has that much respect for you Eadrid. You are a captain among men!" Gimli finished his sentence breathless. 

"Your destiny was given to you because you're the only one who can succeed. You were born to succeed, Eadrid. Take comfort in that." 

Eadrid smiled at Legolas' words.

"So don't go doubting yourself no more, yes?" Gimli shook his head and chuckled. "That's not a good look for the Queen." 

Eadrid stood abruptly. "Thank you, Legolas and Gimli. You are right. I have a duty, and doubting it will not help anyone." Eadrid smiled. "Thank you, really. You two are very kind."

They raised their mugs and she nodded to them, and walked out of the hall.