Chapter 1

I woke up to the brightness of the sun leaking through the window blinds above my bed. I let out a groan and stretched out my stiff limbs. As I proceeded to get up a turned on my record player, my new Elvis record started to play.

Suddenly, Nat who was one of my best friends kicked in the door looking like they just woke up. “if I have to listen to the record one more time I'm gonna profusely so! I'm all shook up, but not in the way Elvis ment”

My other best friend Ashlee or Ashy as we call her jump on my bed. "come on we need to get ready for work” she said tugging on Nat's sleep deprived arm.

“I don't want to go to that shady gas station” Nat wined as they left to get ready.

When the two left I quickly changed for work. I slipped on a faded black T-shirt and slid my DX shirt over it leaving the buttons open. Before I left my room a shoved my switchblade into my ripped jeans. I looked in the mirror and pulled my brown hair into a high ponytail. To be honest I didn't care how I looked I just made sure I was clean and presentable.

“you guys ready?” I asked locking the front door. They both nodded and we started to walk down the street. Our house was close the Curits house so we always walked. It wasn't the safest choice for us greaser but for some reason we didn't care but I haven't walked by herself since Jonny was jumped. I would rather get picked up by Darry or walk in between Nat and Ashlee on the street.

When we turned down the street were the curits house was Nat sprinted ahead of us when they saw Steve smoking by his rust bucket of a car.
Steve smiled and flicked his cigarett away and wrapped his arms around Nat, picking them up playfully.

Everyone except those two knew they like each other. "break it up love birds" I chuckled which earned me a kick in the butt by Nat.

“real mature” I teased and opened the front door to the house. Everyone except Dally was here today. Two-bit and Jonny were watching Mickey mouse, which of course Ashlee pushed her way through to set next to Two-bit. Darry was in the kitchen and Soda was out of sight.

“mornin' Shelby” Darry said as I walked into the kitchen. "hay Darry"

I hopped into the counter as Darry continued to move around the kitchen. Me and him were pretty close. He was protective of me, hell he was protective of all three of us. Me and Darry were basically the parents of the group so we always worked together to keep everyone in one piece.

"have you eaten anything yet?" Darry asked shouting the stove off. “no didn't have time, I over slept” Darry then proceeded to hand me a plate of eggs and bacon. “well eat something before work”

“Nat Ashlee! Get in here and eat somethin'!” Darry called out.

“breakfast is for chumps!” Nat called back, which made Steve chuckle.

Ashlee came in seconds later and got some eggs and bacon.

"thanks dar" she smiled and sat the table as Darry called out to Pony and told him the same thing. He walked into the kitchen with Jonny and sat down with us. As I was eating my eyes were suddenly covered.

"good morning Shelbs" it was soda. He was the

“hay Soda” I smiled then immediately slapped his chest playfully as he stole a piece of bacon off my plate.

“hay” he laughed and ran off. I chased him around his small house in till he eventually wrapped his arms around me and pulled me to the ground of the living room. As my back was pushed to the ground he started tickling me.

“soda s-stop!” I laughed and squirmed around trying to get away. I eventually grabbed his wrists and pushed him to his back stealing his DX hat in the process.