4. Pinkies

Thomas didn't know what was going on really

Thomas didn't know what was going on really. He was running through sand, then he was sitting on a bus next to Newt. His Newt. Maybe it'd be okay, maybe. Maybe it'd be okay if he could just stop crying. He didn't know the last time he had ever cried so much, but he also couldn't remember the last time he had felt so much pain. Newt squeezed his shoulder though, which in some way helped him, and then put his hand down and locked his pinky with Thomas's.

He really didn't remember what happened on the bus, or how long it took for them to stop again, but he was ready to get off. It was hot and stuffy and he was becoming increasingly aware of his own smell. He was shoved off of the bus with the rest of the Gladers and ran into the nearby building where gunman surrounded them, taking out anyone who got too close. When they had all been secured in the building a man greeted them, he wore a long black jacket and a shirt that was buttoned all the way up. His facial features were small for a man, reminding Thomas of a rat. Rat-man was his new designated name, Thomas thought as he spoke to the Gladers that surrounded him, and Thomas was only mildly aware that a certain pinky slipped from his grasp. He couldn't help his heart feeling like it had dropped through his stomach and probably fell out of his butt somewhere along the way.

"Welcome." Ratman said, his eyes scanning the crowd. "My name is Assistant Director Janson, and you guys can relax now. You're safe here, we've rescued you from WICKED, and intend on sending you to a safe haven not far from here. Now, if you would all follow me, we need to do something about that smell." Then Thomas found himself in a room filled with anywhere between 8-12 bunk beds, staring at the bed that was designated for himself. Was he being overdramatic? He hadn't seen Newt shed one tear over Alby, though he had never been one to show many emotions.

"Tommy? Alright over there?" Newt asked, he was getting ready for the showers along with every other Glader. He had rid of his pants already, standing in some dirty boxers and the t-shirt he'd been wearing in the glade. Then, deciding he was better than this, better than moping around all the time. Then he saw Chuck, making fun of him for it, and shrugged.

"Yeah 'spose." He replied, and gripped the hem of his shirt and began to pull it up. He winced, the pain in his side and leg suddenly rushing back. Slowly, he peeled the sweat and blood caked shirt from his skin. The bandages from when he had triple wrapped his wounds had been soaked through. He grimaced at the sight, and turned to Newt.

"We're going to be okay now, Tommy. You saved us." Newt had walked over to Thomas then, though it was only a few steps.

"I know." He kept his eyes on the floor, and suddenly saw Newt's mangled leg. Though, mangled really wasn't the word for it, more like scarred and ugly. But it was hard to imagine any part of Newt to be ugly. Then, the warmth of Newt's hand on his face brought him back to attention.

"It's okay to be upset, Tommy. Just don't let it swallow you." Newt smiled and his hand went to the bandages on Thomas's side and leg. He peeled them away, the blood had gotten so dark that it was almost black. It really was a sorry sight, he barely noticed when Newt had tugged down his pants to remove the bandages from his thigh too. Thomas decided to let Newt take care of him then, and gave himself m the shower to collect himself, then he'd have to move on. Thomas and Newt walked through the doors of the showers together and looked for open ones.