Deena Johnson Part 5

Kate came over after school on my first day of suspension. She kept her promise and brought all my school work from my classes that I missed; And Kate being Kate, she volunteered herself to help with my homework even though I told her over and over that she didn't have to.

Kate and I were sitting on my floor, with all my papers in front of us.

"It's simple linear equations, Deena. I don't understand why you don't get it." Kate says, her mouth open and her eyes squinting at me, all judging.

"They're a waste of time. I could be doing better things with my life." I say while tearing a small piece of paper in my hands.

"Oh, like what? Hanging out with Sam like you do everyday?" She asks.

"Yeah, actually. You know, I said I'd call her when she gets home from school." I say, about to stand when Kate grabs my arm and forces me down.

"Finish this equation and I'll leave you alone so you can phone-bone with her after. Come on, Deena. How do you expect to graduate without passing Algebra 2?" She says like she's the mom I never had. I shrug.

"Don't you want to move on with your life?" She waits for me to say something. "By doing your homework and avoiding fights with petty-ass girls is how you get out of this shit-hole. So do it."

I sigh and give in. It makes sense why Kate is the "Captain" or "Leader" of everything. She was born for it.

I remember when we were younger when Kate and I first met. We were both eight and vastly different. Though, not much has changed since. Kate has always been the person everyone at school knew of. I say "knew of" as in, these people don't know the Kate I know. It was the same with her in elementary. During recess, Kate could've played with any of the groups around the playground. She knew everyone, and she basically fit in everywhere, so her options were wide open and ready to take her in. But she chose to always remained independent. I was the kid who sat on the monkey bars to get away from the other kids. No one touched the monkey bars when I was on them, people knew to stay away and I liked that. I had control over something. But then, this girl with blue overalls and her hair tied up in pigtails came over and started playing on the monkey bars while I was on them. I turned to her so confused as to why she's so close to me.

"What are you doing?" I asked her.

"Swinging." She said back.

"Why?"

"Because I want  to."

I don't know why my eight year old brain was feeling so adventurous that day. A small part of me didn't want to push Kate off the monkey bars, but my angst got the best of me like it always does and Kate fell to the ground when I pushed her, and she scraped her knees. After a moment of silence, I jumped down to check on her to make sure I didn't kill the girl.

I found Kate rubbing her knee in throbbing silence, unfazed to the pain.

"Why aren't you, like, crying like a cry baby like everyone else?" I ask her.

"Because I'm not a cry baby like everyone else." She said with such confidence. I knew then we'd be best friends.

The following year was when we met Simon. He was supposed to move onto fifth grade with the rest of his class, but was held back a year because of all his absences from school. We learned when we were older that Simon's home life was rough. We all had it bad, Kate and I, but we weren't the ones who grew up with an abusive father. I'm lucky mine is still around, granted, barely. But Simon's Dad left the family when he was in fourth grade and Simon had to be the one to step up and watch his brothers while their mom worked shifts at the Pancake House. Simon, Kate and I were in the same class in fourth grade and became friends instantly. Kate let Simon copy her answers during tests, Simon kept us entertained with his lively personality, and I helped scare off the bullies who'd make fun of Simon for his dad leaving. We grew a bond in the way animals formed packs. To survive.

...

Kate heated up canned soup for dinner while I talked to Sam on the kitchen phone.

"Smells good." Josh said at the kitchen table.

"I didn't make it, but thanks." Kate said back.

"Creamy chicken, amiright?" Josh says with a chuckle but Kate pretends she didn't hear him.

"How was it at home?" Sam asks me on the phone.

"It was fine, I guess. Super boring." I said to her.

"Did you finish the work Kate brought to you?"

"Jesus, not you too. Why is everyone up my ass about this?"

"Because school's important!" Kate shouts to me.

"Kate's right." Sam says.

"She says you're right!" I say to Kate.

"I'm always right, what's new?" Kate says wholeheartedly.

"Yeah, you are." Josh says under his breath. 

I hear faint shouting over Sam's phone, her parents going at it again. I hear her sigh all disappointed, we've been through this so many times.

"You gotta go, huh?" I ask her.

"I'm sorry, Deena. I thought they went to bed but I guess I was wrong."

"Hey, I'll come by the house after dinner and we can hang out, okay?"

"But it's a school night."

"Not for me." I say like a smart-ass. I hear Sam thinking it over through the phone.

"I shouldn't. Not tonight. My mom got a call from the principal today."  Sam says, her voice going quieter.

"What for?" I ask.

"He told her about Holly. She's pissed at me."

"How? It wasn't your fault,  Holly was fucking with you."

"It doesn't matter. I'm grounded now. For a week. I can't leave the house or have people come over or anything. I can only go to and from school."

"No, that's bullshit." I say, getting riled up. "How am I supposed see you?" I ask.

"You'll see me at school when your suspension's over."

"That's TWO days. Fuck that." 

"I know. I'm sorry. But hey, I'll talk to you tomorrow? Okay? As soon as I get home, I'll call you."

...

The next day, I woke up and changed into the best clothes I had. I was wearing a striped button down with my pair of jeans that has no holes in them.

 I drove to Sam's house in the afternoon and knocked on the door. Sam's mom opened the door, looking me up and down, surprised. "Deena, what are you doing here? Why aren't you at school?" She asks me. 

"I just wanted to say that Sam shouldn't be grounded. I was the one who instigated to fight. She didn't even touch the other girl, it was all me. I deserve all the blame. So please, don't punish her. She didn't do anything, I promise." 

She looks to my bruised hands and back at me. 

"You started the fight?" She asks me. Her face slowly welts and she starts closing the door on me.

"Stay away from my daughter. Do you hear me? You're a danger to her." And she slammed the door in my face.