Chapter 9

Dani and Murphy took in the scenery with no real destination in mind as they hiked in comfortable silence. So much life surrounds them, and it leaves them in awe. Less than a week ago, all they had known was gray metal and the hum of machinery. Poor lighting and even worse air. But here, now, it is vastly different. Everywhere they look, there is something. The bright colors of a bird startled into flight. Wind as gentle as a breeze swaying and swishing the leaves overhead. Distant calls of unseen animals. It all speaks of something deeper, older, primal. Of something visceral and beyond the corporeal. It is an awakening.

Though the duo has nothing planned, they are still vigilant. Neither is fooled that while it is calm, it does not mean danger is not lurking somewhere. Even as their eyes take in the beauty of the woods surrounding them, they search for hidden dangers. Dani has felt eyes of them from time to time. Glancing around, she sees shapes in the shadows of the foliage. Occasionally, piercing amber eyes much like hers catch her gaze knowingly. They are low to the ground, and Dani can guess the eyes belong to a wolf. She is sure Murphy would be fearful if he knew; Dani only feels a sense of calm. Almost as if they belong to a friend who has joined them. The thought makes her smile.

Though there is a sense of another presence as they continue. This one is cautionary and follows them. Not threatening but merely observational. Dani had felt the same look whenever she was at the dropship. It makes her think that they are not alone. That not only animals roam this world. But again, Dani keeps her silence. Whoever they are has done nothing more than observe and follow them. As Dani thinks, if the roles were reversed, she would do much the same. The hundred are strangers, invaders, and therefore an unknown entity. It would be imperative to learn as much about them before decisions were made. Dani only hoped they saw that she and her small family are only interested in having a life here. That they want no trouble and bring no trouble with them. Not intentionally anyway.

Dani and Murphy stop to rest by a lazy river. They pull out the food they had prepared and share a water bottle between them. They're content to remain silent and enjoy the peacefulness of the day. Dani feels both the wolf and watcher set up behind and out of sight. She thinks everyone deserved the rest and isn't quick to continue.

It's Murphy who initiates this time. A gentle caress down Dani's spine. A slight tug at her hip. Their lips touch, and Dani forgets about their silent companions. Hands roam as they lay on the bank of the river. Ever thoughtful, Murphy takes the brunette's weight into consideration of her still-healing body. It is a giddy feeling making out in the middle of nowhere. But it is soft and controlled. Neither one was interested in taking it further. It leaves them dozing underneath the sun for a bit. Dani thinks she knows what peace feels like now. It's nice, and she doesn't want to let the feeling go.

When they wake, they follow the river for a while before heading back underneath the cool shade of the forest. It's a relief as sweat cools. They trek further on until something catches Murphy's eye. It's a path, but it's wider than the animal trails they had found before. It's well-traveled, this path, and as they crouch to examine it, they notice prints of the human kind.

"People," Murphy looked at Dani in surprise.

Dani nodded, "It makes sense, Murph. Remember my twenty questions about Mount Weather? The further away people were from those strikes, the more time they had to get to shelter. It stands to reason there would be survivors. Yeah, radiation probably killed many of them off, not to mention the side effects, but..."

"People would have survived because of genetics or other factors," Murphy finished for her. "So, why..." he gestured up to the sky.

Dani shook her head, "I don't know. An ideology that was perpetuated over time. The indoctrinated mindset that those on the Ark are the 'Inheritors of Earth.' That somehow it's our birthright to claim Earth. It's ludicrous and plain stupid. These people. These survivors. They have more rights to this land than we do. They have had to rebuild lives, society, scavenge for resources, relearn lost skills and trades. This is their birthright, not ours."