11. The Darkhold

♕♕♕

"I DON'T SEE A reason as to why they would lie about this?" Lily exclaimed angrily as she paced around Marcus's bed. Rosalie stood at his side, arms crossed as she watched her mother.

"They didn't even come to see me," Marcus explained, confused. "Why else would they come here for?"

Rosalie shook her head. "I...I don't know," She ran a frustrated hand through her tangled hair. "Mom, do you know what they took?" She looked at her mother, who wasn't paying attention. Lily looked around the room, eyes narrowed as she searched for something. "Uh, mom? Everything alright?"

She didn't answer. Marcus quirked a brow. "Lily. What's going on?"

Before she could say anything, Alexei burst into the room, followed by Director Herald, Yelena, and Irina. "Did they take it?" Herald walked straight to Lily.

"I think so," She answered gravely. She shook her head. "How did they know it was even here? No one but us knew."

"What was in here, mom?" Rosalie crossed her arms.

Lily and Herald turned to her, eyes both slightly wide. They glanced between each other. "Something we promised Nick Fury to keep safe."

"What!?" Both Marcus and Rosalie exclaimed.

"Nick Fury? As in the old head of SHIELD? That Nick Fury?" Rosalie's jaw dropped.

"Yes. That one," Lily nodded.

"What in the hell were you keeping in the infirmary that was from SHIELD?" Marcus sat up, jaw tightening in anger. Lily and Herald shared another look. Marcus's anger grew as they stayed silent. "What? What was it?"

Lily sighed shakily. She pinched the bridge of her nose and shook her head. "An ancient book filled with...all kinds of bad things. It's called the Darkhold and-"

"Suka!" Yelena cursed. Rosalie's head snapped to the Russians in the room, all of their faces painted with the same expression -- fear. "Stupid Americans! Are you telling me Wyatt and Killian got their grimy hands on the Darkhold?"

Lily dropped her head. This shocked Rosalie. Her mother was not one to admit defeat, or at least show it. "...yes,"

"Mom, what is the Darkhold?" Rosalie turned to her flustered mother.

"I-" Lily choked. She shook her head and rushed out of the room. A pit formed in Rosalie's stomach as she watched her mother run. Something was seriously wrong.