promise? | max mayfield

(Your POV, Past Tense)

You immediately fell for Max as she walked into the class. You felt the blood rush to your cheeks, your palms sweating, and your heart racing. You tried not to be creepy by staring at her, so you just stuck with small glances at her every ten seconds. The bell wrung and you stood up as fast as lightening to go talk with Max. Unfortunately, your feet had other plans. You tripped over the chair, and fell right at Max's feet. 'Well shit!' You thought.

"I'm so sorry!" You apologized, ignoring the rest of the class laughing.

"Holy shit, are you okay?" Max laughed as she helped you up to your feet.

"Yeah, thanks," you said breathlessly, scratching the back of your neck awkwardly. Suddenly you remembered what you were going to do that made you trip in the first place, and stuck your hand out to shake. "Uh, I'm (Y/N)."

"Max." You smiled trying to hide your blush, when someone pulled you out of the classroom hissing your name. As you got pulled into the halls, you looked up to see a very pissed off Mike.

"Mike, what the hell?"

"(Y/N), that's Mad Max." he explained as if it were obvious. It wasn't, so you just sent him a confused look, making him sigh.

"You remember from the arcade? Mad Max beat Dustin's score." you nodded, slowly catching on.

"She's incredible." Lucas chimed in.

"Ok, well we don't know that she's Mad Max." Mike said getting annoyed.

"So you dragged me out here for nothing?" you sassed wih your hands on your hips.

"Well... no. We just don't know if she can be trusted."

"But you knew you could trust El?" You asked and the guilt instantly hit you like a baseball bat.

"You know what? Fine! Go ahead, trust her. I don't care." Mike huffed as he pushed past you. The others all walked away awkwardly, while you sighed and leaned against the wall.

"Hey," You heard a voice in front of you. Your heart started racing when you saw it was Max, "What was that about?"

"Oh, nothing, that was just my friend Mike. He- uh, he get weird around new people. But not like nervous, weird. Just like... he sort of hates them... in a way? Not that he hates you, just, normally, he hates new people." you finished awkwardly.

Max nodded her head slowly, "Ok. Hey, would you mind riding home with me tonight? I don't really know the directions that much."

"Oh, yeah sure." you said excitedly. It was a miracle you hadn't passed out already.

"Great, thanks." She said, scratching the back of her neck.

"Great." You repeated dreamily.

You were kind of switched off during school. Thinking about riding home with Max made your heart race and your hands sweaty, and thinking about what you said to Mike made you feel bad and guilty. You hadn't been able to catch Mike to apologise to him, and for some reason, you couldn't find the boys either.

You walked outside the shcool and walked to your bike, when Troy and James stopped you.

"Where you going, dyke?" Troy asked, punching me in the arm.

"Home. That ok?" You asked with a huff.

"Not for a freak like you." James spat, shoving me against the bike rack. You winced as your back hit the metal pole.

"Leave her alone." A familiar voice called from behind Troy and James. You smiled when you saw his face, but it vanished when Troy and James stalked over to him.

"Or what, Frogface?" Troy asked menacingly.

"You gonna push him over?" James added mockingly.

"Just leave her alone." he said darkly. Troy looked at you, then back at Mike.

He shoved you in the shoulder before spitting, "We'll leave the dyke alone. For now." With that they laughed and walked off. You awkwardly walked up to Mike, going to place a hand on his shoulder, before embraced you with a hug. You were confused, but didn't hesitate to hug him back.

"I'm sorry, Mike."

"No," he started, pulling away from the hug, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so weird. You can hang out with whoever you want. As long as we're still friends."

You chuckled at the last part, when you noticed Max waiting near the bus for you. You opened your mouth to farewell Mike, before he cut you off.

"You go with her," he started sincerely, "I'd much rather her be your girlfriend than Lucas'." Mike said, making your mouth form a small 'O'.

"How did you...?" you trailed off, hoping he understood what I was asking.

"I figured out last year at the snowball. We all sat on the bleachers alone 'cause we had no one to dance with, and I saw you glancing over at Jennifer Hayes."

You chuckled at him, before pulling him into another hug, "Thank you, Mike."

He smiled at you, before you ran off to Max, "Ready?"

She nodded as you mounted your bike.

"Y/N, I lied." Max confessed, as you finally got to her house.

"What?"

"About not knowing the way. I know it, I just didn't want to ride with my step-brother Billy." she admitted, looking down.

"Hey," You started, "I'll gladly ride with you again tomorrow, if you don't want to ride with Billy,"

She smiled, looking down, "Meet you at 7?" she suggested.

"I'll be there," you replied with a smirk as you mounted your bike.

"Promise?" She asked, the slightest trace of worry laced her voice.

You smiled and nodded, "Promise."

A/N: this one sort of sucks, but I'll probably fix it later. Stay safe my dudes ✌️