008.

CHAPTER EIGHT

✧✧✧✧✧

       DAKOTA KEPT HERSELF BUSY AS SHE VACUUMED THE LIVING ROOM. It had gotten dusty over the last couple of days and she couldn't stand the sight. The events of the night before still played through her mind over and over again. Dakota had no idea how and why she did what she did to Malcolm. It just happened. No one but Lafayette had paid attention to her, which meant no one else had seen her burn his skin. The woman had tried to make light appear again when she got home that night, but nothing had happened, so she tried to ignore it.

The blond glanced around when she turned the vacuum off. The home now belonged to her, since she was the oldest relative living in the house. She had signed the papers just that morning. Jason had inherited his and Sookie's parents' home, so he didn't need this one, so Dakota was next in line. She and Sookie now lived there by themselves, their gran's room untouched since her murder.

There was a cuss coming from the kitchen and Dakota made her way towards her cousin. Sookie had been in search of Bill since the night before. He hadn't picked up his phone nor did he text her back when she left him messages. The woman was running around like a lunatic to find him and when she had gotten the news that four vampires had been burned that morning at the place Malcolm said they lived, she got even worse.

The youngest Stackhouse didn't say a word as she cleaned the kitchen as if her life depended on it. Sure, Dakota liked a clean home, but everything now smelled of bleach and it was making her head hurt.

"Sookie," Dakota tried as she took a seat at the kitchen table.

"What?" Sookie sounded annoyed as she glanced her way and grabbed a mask from the kitchen counter.

"Are you okay?"

"Does it look like I'm okay?"

The woman put the mask on and dropped to her knees, leaning into the oven to clean it with whatever chemicals she had found in the cupboard. Dakota sighed and rested her head in her hands as she peered around the sparkling kitchen.

"Jesus Christ!" Tara rushed in through the back door and pulled Sookie from the oven. It did look like she was trying to end it all with the way she was sitting. "What the hell are you doing?"

"Stop with the J.C!" Sookie snapped, as she pulled the mask from her face and jumped to her feet. "I'm cleaning, what does it look like? And watch your feet I just waxed."

"I hope you mean the floor." Tara raised a brow, resting her hands on her hips as she watched her friend hurry through the kitchen with her hands full of cleaning supplies.

"Can I help you?" Sookie sassed. "I'm up to my elbows in Easy-off."

Tara's demeanour changed as she straightened her back slightly, joyful smile on her face. "My mama made me hoecakes this morning, bacon grease and all."