044.

CHAPTER FOURTY FOUR

✧✧✧✧✧

          THE SUN WAS ONLY MERE MOMENTS AWAY, AND DAKOTA SAT IN THE SAME SPOT SHE HAD BEEN SITTING IN HOURS BEFORE, AS IF SHE HAD NOT MOVED AT ALL. Her heart was thundering within her chest and a small droplet of sweat slid down her neck toward her blouse.

Their plan was a smart one, one that would give them their best chance in getting Russell Edgington to meet his true death.

The king of Mississippi had burst through the door of Fangtasia only moments prior and had put his husbands glass urn on the table beside him. Russell was seated before the woman, bombarding her with questions about her abilities and more. Dakota met the viking's gaze for a fleeting moment before her eyes moved back to the vampire with her jaw clenched.

"Do you sprout wings?" he wondered, eyes wide with excitement.

Pam stood beside Eric on the other side of the room as they waited for Godric to come back. The blonde turned to her maker with a frown on her face, utterly devastated. "Don't do it. What if it doesn't work?"

"Oh, it'll work." Eric reassured, turning his head to peer down at her. He caught a glimpse of the bloody tears that threatened to spill from her usually bright eyes. "Come on, what's this?"

"Nothing." she brushed him off, wiping at her eyes furiously. "Just bleeds."

Eric took both of her cheeks in his hands and said, "You know I love you more when you're cold and heartless." Pam sniffed once and nodded her head with a soft smile as he did the same, leaning in to plant a long kiss on her forehead.

"Are we doing this?" Godric stood beside them, suddenly, though his gaze was on Dakota and Russell.

Eric stepped back from his progeny after brushing a strand of hair from her face and nodded his head. His maker gave him a painful smile as Eric stalked toward the other two in the room.

"Shall we?" he addressed, facing the king of Mississippi.

"Do let's." beamed Russell, clapping his hands together.

"Do remember," began Godric, crossing his arms over his chest as he looked at Russell. "if you drain her completely, that might as well be the last fairy blood you will ever drink."

"We are schooled." Russell rolled his eyes before grinning. "Onward to adventure."

"Fuck you." Dakota spat, glaring at Godric before her eyes met Eric's, who now stood beside her.

Eric softly touched her cheek and she kept his gaze, giving him a slight nod, one only he would notice. He could feel her fear, he could feel everything and he absolutely despised it and he almost wanted to stop and get her far away from Fangtasia.