012.

CHAPTER TWELVE

✧✧✧✧✧

         DAKOTA DIDN'T THINK HER HOME COULD GET ANY WARMER THAN IT CURRENTLY WAS. Someone really had to fix that fan if she wanted to survive the summer heat. Despite wearing shorts and a tank top, sweat still trickled down her neck and her skin felt clammy. 

The blond had just finished cleaning the dishes of the night before when Sookie got home, Rene Lenier in tow. Dakota raised a brow as she glanced at them from the kitchen.

"It's hotter in here than hell on a Sunday." he commented.

"Gran used to leave the windows open all Sunday." Sookie explained, rubbing her arms in comfort. "But with everything that's going on, Kota and I don't really feel safe." 

Rene caught her gaze and gave her a smile, which she returned. Dakota dropped the tea towel on the table and walked towards them. "Everything okay?"

"My car broke down. Rene drove me home." Sookie explained and turned to Arlene's fiancé . "Have a seat, i'll fix us some drinks."

"Sounds good," he nodded.

Sookie disappeared into the kitchen and Rene glanced up at the fan, pulling the string and clicking his tongue when nothing happened. He ambled into the living room and Dakota went after her cousin.

"Any news on Jason?" Dakota asked.

Sookie shook her head as she took the ice tea from the fridge. "Not since yesterday. I could slap Andy Bellefleur, they got the wrong man." She proceeded to grab a glass and poured the tea in before shouting, "Rene, you take it sweet?" 

"Yes, ma'am."

Dakota turned on her heels, startled to see him leaning in the door opening. Sookie gasped and closed her eyes to calm her breathing. 

"Heh, you scared me." Sookie chuckled.

"Did I?" he was amused and Dakota furrowed her brows, it was almost as if he was mocking them.  He crossed his arms over his chest, sending them a grin. "Sorry, about that."

Don't think about it - Blood, blood, blood, so much blood. She wasn't supposed to be here - Shut up!

Dakota squeezed her hands into fists, tightly, almost breaking the skin of her palms with her nails. Flashes of memories tore through her mind and the look of fear on her grandmother's face was paralysing. She watched in fear as she saw Rene stab Adele over and over again, he was crying. You weren't supposed to be here.

Sookie dropped the glass of ice tea on the floor, blinking rapidly.

"Sookie?" Rene said. "You all right?"

The blond shared a brief glance with her cousin as she turned toward the man. They knew both of them just got a look inside his memories. "I'm ... so jumpy these days."