039.

CHAPTER THIRTY NINE

✧✧✧✧✧

           THE BONE IN HER ARM MUST HAVE BEEN BROKEN BY THE SHEER FORCE OF THE GRIP THE VAMPIRE HAD ON IT. Dakota cried out as they burst through the door of his mansion and once he let go of his hold on her she fell to her knees on the marble floor, panic searing through her veins.

Bill watched the scene unfold, silently as he and Russell stopped beside her in the foyer. It was light, mostly white and gold. There was a chandelier as big as Dakota's entire car hanging from the ceiling. It was beautiful, but none of that registered in her mind as the entrance slowly filled itself with a small group of unfamiliar vampires.

"Gentleman," said Russell gleefully, walking a slow circle around the woman as he addressed them. "look what we stumbled upon tonight. Have you ever smelled a human as good as this one?"

Dakota wanted to scream out for help, but she knew that wasn't going to get her anywhere. Realistically there was no where to go without getting killed and all she could do was wait and see what was going to happen, though it didn't look good.

The fear she felt was strong and she was sure Eric could feel it all the way in Shreveport, but she didn't think he'd come after how they'd parted last time. Eric didn't care for her that way, but she knew he didn't want her dead. And a part of her wanted him to show up through the door and whisk her away to safety.

"Darling," The vampire had a thick Greek accent as he stepped forward, hunger evident in his gaze as he looked her over. Russell took a hold of his face and planted a kiss on his lips, grinning. "can I have the first taste?"

Dakota couldn't stop the tears that slid down her cheeks as she turned her gaze to Bill, hopeful as she whispered. "Bill,"

"Bill won't help you, sweetheart."

Dakota's eyes snapped toward the vampire that stepped into the room, eyes wide as she felt herself go numb. Eric leaned casually against the wall, arms crossed as he took in the state she was in with a bored look. Dakota couldn't form words, in a state of shock as his eyes fell on the cut on her chin. The viking looked way too comfortable to be there and she couldn't figure out why, she should be relieved but the way he was looking at her only made her more uncomfortable.

"There you are," said Russell, pleased to see him. "I believe you know this human. I can smell you on her. Is she yours?"

"She is not." said Eric, pushing himself off the wall and he was suddenly in front of her as he grabbed her bicep and pulled her from the floor with a little too much force. "I've had my fun with her, but that's it. I wouldn't let this one go if I were you. I don't know what it is, but I do know it is quite valuable."

"Eric," she managed to whimper. "what are you doing?"

The viking didn't even look her way, he kept his eyes trained on Russell, who's eyes were locked on her neck as he continued, "I have not had the pleasure of tasting it, but all my instincts say it would be quite extraordinary."