4 ~ Pain and Hatred

*Hussain's perspective*

My phone vibrates under my pillow which disturbs my sleep. I reach for my phone and pulls it out from under the pillow. Without looking at the caller name, I slide my thumb over the screen declining the call. I put it back under the pillow and turn around. Before closing my eyes, Anber's face comes in sight which cause my eyes to stay open before I close them and fall back asleep.

I eyes observed every inch of her face. Her eyes, her nose, her lips. She was sleeping so peacefully. "Stop it Hussain!" My insides shout at me preventing me from looking at her. My mind and thoughts shifted gears, now looking at her with hate.

How can you sleep so peacefully Anber? Leaving me to drown in our past, you are sleeping here so peacefully. I question myself rather than questioning her. Pain and hate striking me again.

I look away as I did not want my pain to take over me. I quickly get up and walk in the bathroom, closing the door behind me.

I take a quick shower and wear my clothes and come out with the towel draped around both my shoulders. Anber was still asleep. I glance over at the time, it showed 9:34 a.m.. "Should I wake her up or no?" I mentally question myself. I wanted to wake her up but at the same I did not want to. I look at the curtains that were blocking the sun from shining in the room. I remove the towel from my shoulders amd place it on the bed. I walk over to the window and hold the curtains. Before pushing them apart, something in me stops me

"Don't do this Hussain. It's not nice to wake her up like this." My heart says which stops me from pushing them apart. "Go ahead Hussain, do it. You dont want to talk to her nor see her, so if you want just wake her up like this." My mind butts in which encourages me more to do what I thought of. Without thinking anymore I push the curtains apart letting the rays of the sun pierce in which shine directly on Anber's face. She furrows a little in sleep, feeling disturbed by the light shining on her face. A hint of guilt grows in me. She raises her hand and places the back of her hand on her forehead, trying to block the sun's rays. She moves her hand away from her face and slowly opens her eyes. Her squinted eyes meet my guilt filled eyes. I look away quickly before she can figure out what I felt and gulp down the guilt within me and walk out of the room.

*Anber's perspective*

The sun's rays shine directly on my face making me furrow in my sleep. I raise my hand and place it on my forehead trying to block the sun's rays. After a few seconds of putting my consciousness together, I move my hand away from my face and open my eyes. Hussain's face was the first thing that came into view. He had an unreadable expression on his face. He quickly looks away. He turns away and walks out of the room.

His eyes still reflect the hate he has for me.

I close my eyes for a brief moment and open them again. I push the duvet away from me and get off the bed making my way towards the bathroom.

I wear a maroon colored shalwar-kameez and come out of the bathroom. I quick dry my hair with the towel and comb them while they are still a little wet. I apply some makeup and double check myself in the mirror before going downstairs.

I walk downstairs and find everyone seated at the dining table.

"Assalamualaikum beta." Mom (Shaista aunty) says as I make my way towards the dining table.

"Walaikumassalam." I say and pull the chair and get myself seated in between Hussain and Mom. Afifa sat across me while Shehry sat next to Afifa and across from Hussain. I flip the plate that was facing down and serve myself and start to eat. Everyone ate in silence.