Swimming Lessons

July 25th, 2025, Joshua

"Did you finish your homework?" Rika asks Keiko as we and Asuna wait on the Kirigaya siblings to show up to school. We're on summer vacation, but due to Suguha being unable to swim and Kazuto having to come here for counseling, the girls decided that the school pool will serve well to teach Suguha the ropes of swimming. Why not my pool? Easy answer.

I haven't had it cleaned and treated yet is what I've told the girls. Technically true, because it has been two weeks since we used the pool since Nijika was in town and had free time. But the real reason, known only to Rika, is that my family is coming over this weekend, and just in case they show up today, I don't need four girls in swimsuits trotting around. If it was just Rika, who will meet my family during this time, we would be there. Maybe with the addition of Keiko, I'll still be home. But here we are, 10 A.M. on a Friday during summer break, dressed in our school uniform, just to teach a girl to swim so she can join us on an ALO quest.

"What? No, not yet."

"You'd better get it done, or summer vacation will be over before you know it. But at least you're not brainiac over there getting it done early." I stick my tongue out at Asuna just as we notice the siblings approach.

"Sorry, everyone," Suguha apologizes. "Making you all gather here for me."

Keiko waves off her apology. "Oh, come on, don't be a stranger! But you know, I was a little surprised. You seem so athletic, Suguha."

"Whether it's the real world or virtual reality, I'm not good at water sports."

We chuckle as a group as Rika continues the conversation. "But really, to have provisional counseling on a perfect swimming day like this… How unlucky is that?"

Kazuto sighs. "Tell me about it! And after I hit the books fairly seriously during the first semester…"

"Too bad for you, missing out on seeing us in our swimsuits," Rika teases before she 'lovingly' holds my arm. "I guess poor Joshy-poo will get to see us all by himself and tell you about it. Oh, but that doesn't give you free rein to let at that gorgeous counselor!"

"Wh-Where's the harm in that?"

"Kirito," Asuna says sweetly but knowing that tone in combination with his name all too well, it makes Kazuto come to his senses and retreat towards the school building.

"Sugu, everyone's here to coach you so be sure to practice hard!"

"Okay!"

"Lucky bastard," I say under my breath, but so happy to get pinched by Rika. It doesn't hurt, but it gets her message across. It doesn't change the fact that Kazuto is the lucky one here.

"Compared to the sea in Alfheim," Asuna tells Sugu. " the school pool is really shallow, so just have fun and practice without stressing out. Kazuto, we'll see you later!" He waves back."

"Say hi to the gorgeous gorgeous counselor!" Rika laughs as Kazuto stumbles on his feet as the girls and I head for the locker rooms.

"Hey, Sugu, if you didn't know how to swim, why didn't you say so when we had the party at my house?"

Suguha bows her head. "I...didn't want to be a burden, plus we weren't really swimming in the pool, so…"