PROLOGUE

"I have a job for you

"I have a job for you."

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────

JULIE ZHAO was sitting on the chair in her room smoking a cigarette when her new customer walked into her room. She turned to face the door and she was actually surprised to see him, Thomas Shelby. 

Julie knew many things about the people living in Birmingham. Secrets that could destroy people. Her family was traveling performers and her act was the tightrope, so she is extremely agile and lightfooted. With those skills, she was able to move around like a shadow, quietly and deadly. She was able to hear people talk when they thought no one was listening. And when people think that no one is around, they usually spill their dirty secrets.

Julie had heard about Thomas Shelby. She knew that he was a bad man who did bad things. Julie had been there, in the shadows, when the train arrived two weeks ago and the men returned from the war. Thomas Shelby happened to be one of those men. Now when he was back she heard the whispers that Thomas was going to move his family up in the world.

A fake smile reached her face "Hello. Come on in."

Thomas looked at her for a moment before he closed the door after him. Still staying by the door, he doesn't say a word. "Do you have a preference, mister Shelby?" she asked seductively.

"You know who I am." he simply stated. 

"I hear things." she simply answered still keeping the fake smile on her lips.

"I have a job for you." His voice was cold as steel, sending a shiver down her spine.

Julie tilted her head in an amused manner. "Isn't that the whole point. You pay and for an hour I do anything you want me to do." she pointed out like she was explaining her job to a child.

"The other day, you walked right up to me and I didn't even notice a thing." His eyes remained cold and calculating as he spoke. A couple of days ago Thomas Shelby came to the brothel to visit his regular, Lizzie Stark when Julie had approached the man when he was about to leave. Making no sound, moving like a ghost, she actually was able to surprise Thomas Shelby. There weren't many things that surprised the man.

Julie was still confused by the man. He seemed to have no intention to have sex with her.

"I have a job for you." He repeated simply. "I need someone to be my ears and eyes in this town. Someone who will be invisible."

Julie was desperate to get out of the life she was living and Thomas Shelby just gave her a ticket out of it. After that day she was no more a whore but without knowing she sold her soul and heart to Thomas Shelby. For some reason, it felt like making a deal with the devil.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────

( author's note )

words 520

super excited for this story. The first chapter coming tomorrow

remember to vote and comment.