sixteen

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐

DANCE OF THIEVES

└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

IT WAS LATE AT NIGHT WHEN JULIE WAS WALKING DOWN THE STREETS OF SMALL HEATH. She was holding two folders, one black and one white.

Julie knew that it was just foolish to assume that things would be calm when she and Tommy returned back to Birmingham. It had been Polly's birthday just a couple days ago and as a gift he had bought her a house.

After her birthday Tommy came to Julie and asked her to find Polly's children who she had been thinking about. Now in her hands she held something that was going to break Polly's heart.

Julie entered his office silently already knowing that it was so late that Lizzie had already gone home. "Julie." he greeted her but his attention was on the folders that she was holding. She entered the office and lightly threw the folders on the table, in front of Tommy. "Did you read them?" he asked.

Julie nodded. "The girl, Anna, died of spring fever." there was a small pause before she continued. "But the boy, Michael, he's alive. And his address is in there." she pointed at the white folder. "He's turning eighteen soon."

Tommy only looked at the folders and slowly opened first the black one. He read through it before finally opening the white one where Michael's information was. He finally closed the folder and reached for a cigarette and lit it. He then gave it to Julie who took it.

"Did you have trouble getting these." he pointed at the folders as he lit himself his own cigarette.

Julie lightly chuckled. "No troubles."

"Good. We should leave early in the morning." he informed her and she furrowed her brows. "To see Michael."

"Shouldn't we tell Polly what we found out?" she questioned.

Tommy shook his head. "If he's still under eighteen it means that he's still a kid. We need to proceed carefully."

Julie nodded and sat down and groaned when she felt the pain in her ribs. "Julie." his worried voice asked.

"It's fine." she swatted her hand and with the other one she pressed against her ribs but Tommy was already up and crouched in front of her.

"Show me." he said and Julie raised her shirt enough so he was able to see the yellow-greenish bruise.

"It's almost gone but it still hurts like a bitch." She mumbled and watched Tommy's reaction whose face was cold but in his eyes there was a storm.

Julie then quickly let go of her shirt and it covered her bruise. "Maybe you should stay back." Tommy suggested and this time Julie didn't argue. She just leaned her back against the chair while Tommy was still crouched in front of her.