eight

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐

DANCE OF THIEVES

└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────

"WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO THOMAS SHELBY?" Julie asked as soon as she saw Thomas. He had asked her to meet him at the betting shop early in the morning. After arriving she had gone straight to his office where he was sitting by his table. "You look happy and I don't think I have ever seen you happy."

There was something new about Thomas' demeanor and it was the first thing Julie noticed when seeing him.

"It's official. I'm a legal businessman. The paperwork got in this morning, the Shelby family got their first legal racetrack pitch." he explained as he pointed towards one of the chairs. 

"Congratulations." she spoke as she sat down. "So are you doing anything special to celebrate?"

"I'm throwing a wedding." he spoke.

"Wedding?" she asked not sure if she head heard him right. "Does the poor girl know?"

Thomas looked her amused. "It's not for me. Johnny boy is getting married." he explained.

Julie gave the man a look and snorted "And does John know that he is getting married?"

"Everybody loves a surprise."

"Sure. I mean most people would call it a surprise when you cook up them breakfast and bring it to bed and not when you arrange a marriage for them." she pointed out. 

"Did you know that John was going to marry Lizzie Stark?" he asked and Julie froze a little bit when she heard her name. Two of them would work at the same brothel, they weren't really friends but would talk time to time.

"No, I didn't know." she spoke. She then looked at Thomas, trying to read him but not being able to. "Didn't you and her used to--"

"Yes." he spoke before she could finish the sentence.

"Well, I think Lizzie is a lovely woman." Julie spoke confidently. She never saw a reason why you should judge a person by what they have done in their life. "I think they would be good together."

"John isn't going to marry Lizzie." Thomas spoke and Julie gave him a confused look.

"Is this because what she does for living?" Julie asked warily. 

Thomas took a cigarette and offered one to Julie who carefully accepted it. "I offered her eight pounds for one last time with me and she took it. Told John about it and he cancelled the wedding."