Twenty

Following the introductions of both bassists' families–which even included various nieces and nephews who were minors–the Yule celebration kicked into full gear. Knowing how busy the Day was no doubt to be due to their massive combined family–and that he likely wouldn't feel up to cooking first thing–Bobby'd made this Morn's breakfast dish the Day previous. All that needed to be done was it needed to be thrown in the oven to be reheated, which his blonde mate was able to take care of with ease.

        It was pouring various drinks and actually getting everyone served that Richie jumped in to help with so that their shared mate could relax more. That was a chore, in and of itself, considering how many people'd been invited to celebrate with them this Year. Not only were there various family members from all three musicians' branches, but they'd decided to invite the various band mates they still got along with–if they were sober.

        Naturally, Bret and Rikki were a pair that showed up, 'cuz even though they didn't maintain a long-term sobriety, they were able to sober up enough to seem like they had. Izzy was the only GN'R member they'd bothered to invite, 'cuz the others were still drinking and drugging too much for the bassists' liking. And as if that wasn't enough, Axl was too much of a diva these Days, so they hadn't invited him to avoid any conflicts during what was supposed to be a Joyous Day. Beyond that, everyone else at least drank too much, but they usually tended to stay whacked out on coke and/or smack. Having those kinda Influences around the kits wasn't acceptable to the couple, so they didn't bother extending invitationsta anyone else.

        Course, Bret saying he needed to head out to his car for a minute, then Returning with a small vial and a syringe in one hand raised a red flag for the Kotzens. Even the young Neko hadn't gotten to know him well enough to know what was really going on, and he'd shot a shocked look at Bobby and Duff. Said men simply laughed and waved off his concern, assuring him and his family that he wasn't up to anything that could be labeled nefarious. In fact, they said that they wouldn't have let him leave again, if they hadn't seen those things in his hand at one point or another today.

        "I'ma Type I diabetic, kid," the blonde front man chuckled, unzipping the case that'd been held in his other hand as he'd Returned to the house.

        "You've gotta be–" Richie started, cutting himself off so he wouldn't get in trouble for cussing in front of the kits.

        "Got diagnosed when I was six," he told him, his gaze focused on his hands as he pricked a fingertip.

        "Yikes, that's rough, man," one of Duff's brothers–Bruce, he thought–winced.

        "Nah, getting the diagnosis and having certain thingsta to do in order to take care of myself isn't the rough part," Bret laughed. "How I feel when I let myself go is the rough part."

        Everybody who didn't already know him cocked their brows curiously as plates and cups were passed out.

        "No Energy to do anything, headaches–pretty much like a never-Ending case of the flu, just without being sick in that sense," the blonde front man explained.

        "I repeat, yikes," the obviously-older McKagan brother said.

        "Knowing that's how he feels when he lets himself go–not to mention why–is why we said we'd rather see those supplies come out in his case," Bobby chuckled.

        "Means he's taking care of himself, even if it doesn't seem like it at first glance," the younger bassist agreed, finishing up with getting the youngest kids settled at the breakfast nook table.