Thirteen

It was late-June of 1990 before Duff even thought of trying to go back to the Los Angeles area, despite his band still trying to work on their second album. Even his mate hadn't put much, if any Thought into going back anytime soon, and his band was in the process of finishing up their third album for release. In fact, said album–which'd been entitled Flesh and Blood–was due for release on the twenty-first, so they hadn't even been in town when it started hitting shelves. They'd still been up on the Shore of Lake Washington, hiding from the World, when they'd gotten the call about having to pull the album to edit the cover, a picture of Rikki's new tattoo that was Intended to look like a fresh tat with blood dripping down it.

        Once they'd gotten back down to Bobby's house and unpacked all their belongings, the first thing they'd done was get everybody suited up for a ride. The twins loved getting to head out with them, even though they weren't particularly fond of the seats they were strapped into while they were out. It seemed they loved the minuscule amount of Wind blowing through their equally minuscule hair like a true biker did already. Neither of the bassists coulda been any happier about that, thinking maybe they'd get them on dirt bikes eventually.

        Walking back through the front door, though, they'd heard the answering machine beeping before they could even get said portal closed, let alone put Lil Nikki and Corona down. Axl'd called and said he was giving them two hoursta answer the phone before he just showed up and started pounding on the door. He'd known they were coming back soon, but he wasn't exactly sure when since they refused to set a specific date, just in case something went awry at the last second. After all, Seattle was known for a lotta Rainy and Snowy Weather, depending on the Season, which could get a flight cancelled or delayed.

        As it stood, it'd already been about an hour and a-half since that message'd gotten left, so they knew it wouldn't be long before the temperamental ginger showed up. That gave them just enough Time to at least start on dinner, the kits playing with their toys in the adjoining den area they'd thought about setting up as a second living room at first, but was better suited to being a play room.

        "It's open, jerk!" Duff yelled loud enough to be heard outside when he heard the telltale banging on the front door. If he and his mate hadn't both been trying to finish up dinner prep, a kit hanging off each of their legs, he'd have gone to actually answer the door.

        "Don'tcha know you're supposed to lock your doors, especially with kids in the house?" Axl's words and accompanying chuckle preceded him into the kitchen.

        "Left that one open on purpose, jerk," the younger bassist laughed. "First thing we did when we got down here was head out on a ride, and by the Time we got back, the kits were starving."

        "That meant it was dinnertime, or we'd be paying royally within an hour," Bobby chuckled, bending down to haul Corona into his arms. "'Cuz chu boogers're just as cranky as chu real daddy when chu's hungee."

        "Wait, ya finally told them?" The ginger seemed surprised since he'd made no bones about wanting to wait till they were old enough to understand before he explained anything to them. "And a ride? You're nuts for taking them anywhere near motorcycles at this age!"

        "Mountain bikes, not motorcycles, ya goof!" Duff told him with another laugh. "Although, hearing the concern's a good thing since we know it means ya care."

        "And I didn't tell these two anything, nor did Duff," the older bassist added.

        "Then why bring up you-know-who?" Axl looked every bit as confused as he sounded.

        "Nikki gave himself away while we were up in Seattle," he answered, settling his daughter in her high chair while his mate followed with her twin. "Believe it or not, he was an integral part of Duff even surviving."