vi. the lovers under the stars

CHAPTER VI:
the lovers under the stars

CHAPTER VI: the lovers under the stars

( October 1994 )

      GINGER SAT IN THE LIBRARY, NOT READING, JUST SITTING

GINGER SAT IN THE LIBRARY, NOT READING, JUST SITTING. She soaked up the quiet ambience of the dark area alone, Cedric and Alexander invited her to go down to the lake to hang out, but she declined in avoidance of being outside.

So, Ginger, alone, stood up from her seat and began to wander the aisles of the library for a new fantasy to divulge into. Perhaps she would be taken into a faraway land with kings and queens who fight for freedom against an evil queen, or maybe she would meet a handsome prince who would stargaze with her and give her a happily ever after.

Gently tracing her fingers on the spines of books in her aisle, she reached the end and sighed. No sign of kings, queens, or princes.

Just as she straightened her back to begin looking in another aisle, a book had fallen to the floor. Curious, Ginger picked up the book and looked in the spot it once was and was met with a familiar pair of gingerbread coloured eyes. The eyes widened for less than a second before relaxing finding comfort in Ginger's golden irises.

Feeling social in the quietest place in the whole castle, Ginger filed her feet down the aisle, but the person on the other side decided they would follow.

She took glances to her left through the spaces between books and they made eye contact while following each other to the end of the aisle. Each step they took became more rushed than the last till they nearly collided with each other at the end of the aisle.

A boy with fire for hair stood before Ginger, a smirk playing at his lips while his hands stuck themselves in his uniform trousers.

"Fancy meeting you here, Miss Moon." She gazed at him curiously with a grin at the name.

"Miss Moon?"

He cleared his throat and ducked his head down a bit, "yes, it felt fitting for you. Lunette in English is moon so.." Her smile grew as she realized he most likely looked her last name up to know more about her.

"Sorry to burst your bubble, but Lunette is actually French for telescope.." The boy flushed under the dim lights of the library, thankfully, Ginger hadn't paid much attention to his reddening face. "But you aren't far from it, don't worry. It's the Lune part that means moon." She consoled him as they began mindlessly walking side by side.

He sighed in relief of not making a complete fool of himself, only a partial one.

"And before I mistake one twin for the other..." she stopped their walking and gently took his face into her hands looking closely at the features of his eyes and nose while setting down the book that had fallen earlier. "You're George." She let go of his face that was reddening once again, he kept his cool and calm nature, but he felt his neck heating up and heart beating faster.

"Correct you are," He breathed out in a daze, she nodded with pride before a thought pressed into her mind.

"George?" He hummed in response, "what were you doing in the library? Not that I mind seeing you here, it's just that Fred's nowhere in sight and I don't see you as much of a person who would enjoy reading in their free time." She turned her head around to search for the identical copy of the boy in front of her.

The thought also made George wonder where his twin was. They had come in together to do something, but he had forgotten whatever they were planning to do. Just as he was about to recall what he had been doing, the sound of a shelf falling erupted from the farther side of the library and a loud stream of shouts quickly followed. George's eyes widened when he and Ginger ducked at the sound.

"Right," he hastily gasped. "Fred and I were applying clear goop on books to turn peoples faces green." Ginger laughed as he became skittish as if someone would attack him at any moment. A figure popped out from behind a shelf and caused George to flinch terribly and shout. Fred.

"I reckon we best be heading out about now, pretty sure I caught Parkinson eyeing me when I ran." He wrapped an arm around the shoulder of his recovering twin as he steadied his breathing from laughing. His eyes caught sight of Ginger in front of them and smirked down at her. "Well hello, Miss Lovely."

Ginger grinned at the newest nickname she had from the twins and nodded in acknowledgement. "Hello, Fred."

His Cheshire grin grew more at the recognition as he straightened his back, "Georgie, this one's a keeper." He pointed his finger at the girl and slyly winked at her.

George not so subtly thrust his elbow in his twins' ribs and earned a groan from Fred. "The two of you better be on your way back to the Great Hall before Pince finds out what the two of you were doing." Their eyes widened and they nodded together while making a beeline for the exit.

While being near the exit, one of the twins turned around and called out louder than he should've, "goodbye, Miss Moon!"

She laughed to herself and waved, "goodbye, George and Fred!" She yelled just as loudly as he did to spare him any embarrassment he could've felt while yelling. They hurried out of the library soon after that, leaving Ginger with only herself.

Deciding she should also be heading to the Great Hall to find out who would be the champions for the Tri-Wizard Tournament, Ginger looked down at the table she stood by. The fallen book was still there so she cautiously picked it up and stroked the spine. The girl began walking to the exit then looked at the cover and smiled to herself at the title.

The Lovers Under the Stars.