xli. detention

CHAPTER XLI:
detention

CHAPTER XLI: detention

( September 1995 )

      THE WEEKEND HAD GONE BY FASTER THAN GINGER WOULD'VE LIKED LEADING TO HER SINGLE DAY OF DETENTION

THE WEEKEND HAD GONE BY FASTER THAN GINGER WOULD'VE LIKED LEADING TO HER SINGLE DAY OF DETENTION. She had of course spent the weekend spending time with the Gryffindors and Alexander trying to get back into a sense of normal, but as soon as Monday came, normal was over.

Her final professor dismissed the class for the day and a shaky feeling immediately swelled in Ginger's bones. Something about only having one day of detention with the cruel woman in pink seemed too easy. There had to be more to it than she knew.

      With her bag slung over her shoulder, she trudged her way to the class and up the stairs to the woman's office. Ginger lifted her hand to knock but hesitated. How much harm would she do if she walked away? Just as she was about to put her hand down, the door creaked open to reveal a cheery Umbridge, toad smile and all. Putting on her doe eyes and a small smile, Ginger sighed walking in and closing the door behind her.

"Where would you like me to sit?" She questioned looking at the options for seats.

"Right here will do just splendidly," Umbridge quipped setting her hands on the head of a pink and gold chair in front of a single desk. Ginger silently complied sitting in her spot. "You will be writing lines for me today, that's all. Nothing more, nothing less." Ginger's eyes squinted with furrowed brows while the woman stood behind her. Leaning down in her bag to search for a pen, Ginger was stopped. "No, no, you're going to use my own special quill."

      She clicked her heels to her own desk to fetch a small box with a fancy-ish looking quill. "How many would you like me to write, and what will I be writing?" Ginger innocently asked.

       Bringing out a small piece of paper from her desk too, Umbridge handed her the two items before taking a seat. "Until it sinks in," was all she said while going back to the paperwork she had been doing. Ginger gave her an odd look just as she let her eyes read over what she was tasked to write. "I hope you don't mind, but I added two things on there since you did also deliberately missed my classes for four days. But you will only need to write that one twice, the first sentence will need to be written multiple times for optimal understanding."