xxiv. talk it out?

CHAPTER XXIV:
talk it out?

CHAPTER XXIV: talk it out?

( February 1995 )

      GINGER PACED IN HER SINGULAR DORM, CONTINUOUSLY STEPPING OVER THINGS ON THE FLOOR AS SHE WENT BACK AND FORTH

      GINGER PACED IN HER SINGULAR DORM, CONTINUOUSLY STEPPING OVER THINGS ON THE FLOOR AS SHE WENT BACK AND FORTH. "Gin, for the sake of my sanity and yours, just go to his dorm if you're so worried about it," Cedric's voice chimed in from her scrying mirror that had been propped up on her dresser.

"Yes, I could do that, but what if it feels like I'm invading his space?"

"What space?"

She threw her arms up, "I don't know, personal space? Mental space?"

      "Mental space?"

      "I don't know!"

"Stop yelling at me, I will disconnect this mirror and go take a nap," Cedric threatened.

"Try me." She squinted her eyes at her friend full well knowing he wasn't afraid to do so but was just bored enough to stay on. Just as he was going to respond to her with a crude comment, the sound of a knock etched itself into her ears. "Looks like you're disconnecting!" she smiled sarcastically and disconnected Cedric before he could get another word in.

      Setting the mirror flat on the dresser, Ginger walked her sock covered feet across the cold floor while putting her hair up messily. Her delicate hand went to the cold doorknob and creaked it open to reveal a familiar and nervous-looking redhead. With the poor lighting in her room, she couldn't tell who she was standing with so she reached her hands out, he nodded down for her to do so, and she inspected him closely. His warm cheeks beneath her hands felt so welcoming that she hadn't wanted to let go when she did.

      "Hello, George," her heartbeat sped up when her realization hit her like a wave in the ocean. His freckled smile made the organ beating in her chest only speed up more. Moving aside in the doorframe, she wordlessly invited him into her room. "Excuse the mess, I was scrounging around for clothes to wear." He nodded taking a look at what exactly she had been scrounging for. A simple gray shirt that loosely hung on her torso, striped blue and white pants, and the blue zip-up she had been wearing the day at the Quidditch World Cup.

      "S'alright, me and Fred's dorm's worse," he chuckled with her as she jumped to her bed. He assumed sitting on the seat in front of where she was sat would be the best option for speaking with her.

      "So is there any particular reason you're visiting, or am I just that special?" she joked hanging her head off the edge of the bed looking at an upside-down George.

      He seemed to bite his lip for a moment thinking, "yes and no," he answered. Her eyebrows furrowed at his response.

      "Yes and no?"

He nodded slowly watching her face contort with confusion. "I'm just going to assume you're here for the reason I was pacing so I'll start." A breath of relief escaped his throat. "I didn't tell Rita Skeeter to put anything in the Daily Profit about us. In fact, I don't like her very much, she's quite invasive and immature for someone her age." She rambled on. George kept quiet during it all until she finished her last sentence.

He was relieved. Relieved that she hadn't found out about his feelings for her and relieved she didn't use them against him as a cruel joke like some have before.

"Yeah, it was pretty odd and confusing when I read that. She was also making it seem like you like to go after multiple people for the sake of a joke or just for fun,"

      His words made her turn over to her stomach, her hair messily following suit. The sight made George give a small smile unknowingly. "I was also quite gross that she keeps trying to make it seem like I and Cedric have any form of romantic feelings for each other," she twisted the moon ring on her right ring finger thinking about it. "Okay, yes we act very close, but that's because we've known each other for several years, thirteen years in fact!" George's eyes bulged at the large number.

      She hadn't taken notice and continued to ramble like she always did, "and I've lived with him for almost eight years!" she dramatically threw herself on her back again while George's eyes widened again at the information. Ginger finally took notice of his expressions, "you didn't know?" He shook his head in a way as if saying how the hell would I? "Well, I assumed Fred would've told you."

"Fred knew?"

"Yes, I told him long before the first task." He hummed nodding slowly. "Well, now that we have that whole article situation cleared, I plan to go to sleep soon and I think you should too." She stood walking him out the door. When she was in the doorframe and he was right outside of her room she stuck out her hand.

     "No romantic feelings." Truth?

      A part of him hurt to hear her say those words but he nodded his agreeing either way. "No romantic feelings." Lie.