Chapter 14: Don't talk to me

EMERYN

I look in the mirror one more time before exiting my room. I want to make sure I dress up properly and nothing screams that I was awake half the night crying. My puffy red eyes have reduced to their original state because of the cold water I splashed for 5 minutes straight.

"Emmy, you look different today. What's the occasion?" Cameron asks as he bites into his pancakes.

"I don't need an occasion to dress up, Cam. By the way, did you make any friends?" I try to change the topic. The single raised eyebrow from my brother shows that he is not fooled but plays along.

"Yes I did. Beck is kind of cool and unlike the other guys in his circle. He saved a little red head from getting bullied yesterday. I am glad that friend of yours gave me Beck's name, otherwise I don't think I would have approached him because he is part of the 'cool people'." Cameron has a dazed expression.

I smirk. "Sounds like someone has a crush."

"Eww no. I don't swing that way. Did you know, middle school girls in this school are very hot."

"Alright, I don't want to know about your love life. Get your bag so we can leave." I flip my purple highlights to my back as I get up.

"Hey Em!" Cameron calls out to me.

"Yes?" I turn back.

"The highlights look great," he says.

I smile. "Thanks Cam."

"Did you get them the day you asked for my gummies?"

"I did." I respond, getting into my car and starting the engine.

During the car ride I recall Talia saying she didn't have a close relationship with her brother and I smile, glad that Cameron and I were close. Although he is younger to me, he has helped me too many times to count. He is almost like an older brother sometimes. I remember once when Finn, an ex-boyfriend, and I broke up after 7 months of relationship and I cried in Cameron's lap the entire night.

He was terrible at consoling and didn't understand half of what I was mumbling but still kept petting my hairs and passing me fresh tissues.

The next day, I went to school to find Finn's hair orange and I still have no idea how Cameron did that since he was only 10 years old back then.

"Okay, we are here. Remember, don't freak Beck out with your bromance. Bye!" I exit the car chuckling at Cameron's aghast expression. He is so easy to tease.

"Hi." I freeze at the familiar voice and greeting.

Oh no, I can't deal with him yet, I will cry again!

"Hey." I reply and he looks hurt at my choice of words and I internally smile. At least it wasn't only me who reserved my 'hi' for him like an idiot.

"Can I talk to you?" He steps closer to me.

"Nope. Talia is calling. Bye!" I rush away, needing to get away from him fast or I would forgive right away, and that is not happening today.

"But she hasn't even-"

I close the doors behind me, blocking Jesse's voice and walk to my locker trying to clear my head of him.

"There you are. What happened?" Rosalie's excited voice turns concerned after seeing my face.

"Nothing much. Just had a run-in with Jesse."

"Aww you poor baby. There, there." she pulls me into her chest.

"You are terrible at comforting people." I look up at her face to see her grinning like an idiot.

"Morning, girls. I saw Jesse outside looking like a lost puppy. You guys talked?" Talia asks as she stuffs her unwanted stuff into her locker before turning to face me.

"Yes." I sigh tiredly.

"Well, you look great. I am glad you put an effort instead of looking like a hobo after last night's cry." Rosalie encircles her hands around my waist.

I group called the girls around 10 at night yesterday to rant to them and they listened to me speak without interruptions. I am so thankful they came to me on the first day of school otherwise I wouldn't have met them at all.

"Emeryn?" hearing Cameron's voice, I get out of Rosalie's arms and turn around.

"Cam, what are you doing in this part of the school?" I ask curiously. East High School is divided into two parts. One is for the high schoolers and the other for middle schoolers. It is very rare to see someone from one building to visit the other.

"You put your water bottle in my bag" he hands me my purple bottle as he looks around and then runs off.

"I forgot to ask Beck but are they friends?" Talia asks as she looks at Cameron's retreating figure.

"Yup. Cameron adores Beck. It is an amazing bromance." I chuckle recalling Cam's face.

"How do you know?" Talia asks and I detect a tinge of jealousy.

"Cameron told me this morning after I asked him." I reply simply, not wanting to overshare because I didn't know how to diffuse her jealousy.

"Emeryn, can we please talk?" Jesse's voice makes us all pause.

"No. Jesse, go away." I say trying to sound firm, but my voice cracks at the end.

"No I won't until you listen to me." he says stubbornly.

"Go away Jesse, she doesn't want to talk to you." Rosalie crosses her hands on her chest, standing in front of me to block his view of me.

"Please." Jesse turns his pleading glance towards my best friends as I turn my back to him.

I abruptly sling my bag over my shoulder as I start walking away from him. I see Paris ahead of me smirking and I give her the middle finger as I walk by her.

During Calculus, Jesse kept trying to distract me but I can be very patient when I want to. I suffered his continuous pokes all through the class until he got tired and stopped, only to start kicking my chair. Huffing, I slid my chair over to the other edge of my table to get away from his incessant kicks.

"Emeryn please." Jesse whispers.

"Jesse, stop being an idiotic ass and stop talking to me." I whisper back without looking at him.

"Anything to say to the class Mr. Morgan?" Ms. Hale asks him when she catches him looking at me.

"No Ms. Hale. Sorry." Jesse apologises and turns back to the front after giving me one last look. I look over at Paris to see her looking at Jesse angrily but when she sees me looking at her, she raises an eyebrow and smirks at me.

I roll my eyes and make it my goal to avoid Jesse at all cost throughout the day.

Such a sad chapter... I want to eat a packet full of skittles in one go and make my teeth hurt. *inhales deeply and exhales*

I am an optimistic person. I know that Jesse won't give up on our girl. I know it. Of course I know it.

 Of course I know it