Chapter 13: Family night

EMERYN

"Can we hang out today?" Talia asks as she places her tray down on the lunch table.

"Sure. The mall?" Rosalie asks, taking a bite of her salad.

"Sorry guys, you will have to go without me this time. Mom is free today after a long week and she wanted to have dinner with us." I apologise.

"No worries. We will do your part of the shopping. I need to get out of my house. Mom has a new boyfriend who is coming over for dinner and I don't want to meet him."

"Why?" I ask when Rose doesn't. Must be something familiar for her since she has been best friends with Talia since middle school.

"Because unless he lasts for more than two weeks, I won't meet them. Causes unnecessary heartbreak if I get attached to them." Talia frowns.

"Does anyone last that long?" I ask curiously, resulting in a slap on my shoulder curtsy of Rosalie. I squint at her.

"Nope. One almost did, though. I really liked him. He still keeps in contact with me sometimes to know how we are doing."

"That's pretty sweet of him." I comment, digging into my salad.

"He is. I don't get why mom left him. She was happy with him too." Talia frowns.

"Awh honey, come here." I open my arms for her to lean forward and hug me.

"Okay, enough mush." Rosalie claps her hands, breaking the moment. "First things first, do you need to go grocery shopping?" she asks as she turns to me.

"Yes, we are cooking spaghetti and meatballs and I need to buy the noodles and other stuff." I replied.

"Good then we will go to the mall to buy it. Also, how did Mrs. Saunders like your highlights?" Talia leans towards me with interest shining bright in her eyes.

"She loved them, oh, and she wanted me to thank you guys for giving me a makeover."

"I wish mama would allow me to have highlights." Rosalie moans into her hands as she covers her face.

"If you guys could, what colours would you get?" I ask.

"Pink." Rosalie immediately answers.

"I want colourful but hidden underneath my actual colour. Get it?" Talia answers after some thought.

"I don't." I answered, trying to imagine what she was describing.

Talia removes her scrunchie and shakes her hairs and then pulls away the top half. "The bottom half here will be full of coloured highlights and when I drop this top half of my hairs, the coloured highlights will be slightly hidden under my actual brown hairs. Get it now?"

My mouth forms an 'O' as I finally understand what she was saying. The bell rings and we agree to meet in the parking lot after dispersal as we get up. I make sure to tell them that Cameron will be tagging along because he didn't want to take the bus today.

_____

"Cameron, this is Talia and she is Beck's sister." I introduce them once they are in the back seat.

"Really? Hi!" Cameron turns back and eagerly shakes Talia's hands.

Then he starts talking about Beck and what awesome thing he did this time to me. I remember Talia's earlier jealousy and look through the back mirror to see her looking at Cameron with a hint of a smile as she listens to what he has to say.

"Say Cam, we need to go to the grocer's for dinner tonight and these two volunteered to come help. That alright?" I ask as I look back at my brother.

"Of course, but as long as I get to buy snacks of my own. Also, can we go to TH too? I stained a white sweatshirt the other night and had to throw it away because mom said that it couldn't be removed.